+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to pools...ready to begin the BBB way!

Default New to pools...ready to begin the BBB way!

We recently moved into our new home and are working on keeping our pool as nice as possible...problem is, we live in TX and the average temps make it next to impossible to keep the chrlorine at an acceptable level (so far). We have begun getting some green algae patches on the pool floor and black algae spots on our steps, luckily the water has remained clear. I understand this is correctable through the right mix of chemicals. Help on how to use BBB method, (After looking at the best guess chart, I'm still lost) and how to get rid of the algae we currently have would be wonderful, thanks in advance!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New to pools...ready to begin the BBB way!

Quote Originally Posted by scout0861 View Post
    we live in TX and the average temps make it next to impossible to keep the chlorine at an acceptable level (so far).
    Not true; inaccurate information from the pool industry makes "it next to impossible" to run a pool well.

Do this:

1. Complete the Pool Chart form (link below)
    2. Get a good test kit; use it; tell us what you find. (links below)
    3. Till you get both #1 & #2 done, add 2 gallons of PLAIN 6% (chk %) household bleach, per 10K gallons of pool water, EACH evening. (If you get a cheap OTO drops kit, you can skip dosing if the EVENING chlorine test result is VERY DARK yellow.)
    4. Filter 24/7; brush your pool just AFTER adding bleach.

--------------------------------------------------------

+ It's much easier to answer your questions, when we have the details about your pool in one place. We often 'waste' the first few posts back and forth collecting information. So, please complete our new Pool Chart form -- it takes about 30 seconds, but will save much more than that.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    + Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Test the pool as soon and you can, and post the results. If you get the 6-way kit, ALSO test the water you FILL the pool with, especially if it's a well, and post THOSE results as well. (The HTH is the best available kit you're likely to find locally, but it's not the K-2006. It can only provide rough measurements chlorine levels above 5 ppm, and it measures "TOTAL" hardness, rather than "CALCIUM" hardness, which is not ideal.)

+ Having a good test kit makes pool care easier for EVERYONE. A good test kit means a kit that can test chlorine from 0 - 25 ppm, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness, and stabilizer with reasonable accuracy. Test strips (AKA 'guess-strips' ) do NOT meet this standard. Some pool store testing is accurate; most is not. The ONLY way you'll know whether your pool store is accurate or bogus, is by testing accurately your own self. On the other hand, pool store 'computer' dosing recommendations are NEVER trustworthy -- ignore them. They are designed to sell more chemicals than you need, and WILL cause many pool problems.

+ We recommend the Taylor K-2006 test kit, which meets the requirements above, for many reasons. The HTH 6-way drops kit is a great starter kit, and is compatible with the K2006 (it's made by Taylor). There are a few alternatives; for example Lamotte makes an FAS-DPD kit that's OK -- but it costs 3x as much. But, we're not aware of any test that is better, and since we are all familiar with the K-2006 (and can help you with it) we recommend it exclusively ( Test kit info page )

One caution for the 2012 season: Amazon does not stock the kits directly. So when buying at Amazon, Amato is our current preferred seller. However, they often don't list enough stock to last the whole day, so try order mid-morning. You should expect a delivered cost under $60 for the K2006A and under $95 for the K2006C. If you can't find that, wait a day.

+ Here are links to the kits we recommend (you can check local availability on the HTH kit, using the Walmart link):
    HTH 6-Way Test Kit @ Walmart
    Taylor K2006A (3/4 oz bottles) @ Amazon
    Taylor K2006C (2 oz bottles) @ Amazon
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-27-2012 at 05:06 PM.

I've filled out the form didn't have the thread number to put on it, but I submitted it completed.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I see it -- you definitely need a kit. I fixed the bad post above, with doubled pool chart entries, and replaced one of those with the pool kit stuff.

+ Reply to Thread