+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walmart chlorine vs Chlorinator

Default Walmart chlorine vs Chlorinator

I have read lots of different things on how to use walmart generic 6% liquid chlorine but am afraid to use it yet. We have an automated chlorinator that we fill with the trichlor tabs but the ph is low and alkalinity is low and chlorine is zero even though I keep putting chemicals in. The pool is a vinyl lined 20x40 inground. I just ordered a k-2006 but it has not yet arrived.

The store was sold out of borax so just put in 5lbs of alkalinity up the real stuff. Is it ok to use the liquid chlorine with the automatic chlorinator and why is chlorine not holding? is it because the other chemicals are off? alkalinity is at 60ppm and not sure exact ph reading.
    How much liquid chlorine do I use and do I spread it over the deep end or in skimmer in this case?

thanks a lot

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Walmart chlorine vs Chlorinator

Quote Originally Posted by superburg View Post
    Is it ok to use the liquid chlorine with the automatic chlorinator?
    You can use bleach (aka 'liquid chlorine') with an automatic chlorinator --but don't pour it through the skimmer.

why is chlorine not holding? is it because the other chemicals are off?
    Probably.

How much liquid chlorine do I use and do I spread it over the deep end or in skimmer in this case?
    A 20x40 vinyl is usually around 30,000 gallons, with a PF of 4. Since 6% bleach is equivalent to 1/2 lb of 100% chlorine gas, 1 gallon will add about 2 ppm of chlorine to your pool (4 x 0.5). So, while you are having problems, adding 3 gallons (6 ppm) of bleach to your pool each evening will probably keep you out of trouble. Just pour it in to the deep end, when the pump is running.

Meanwhile, read the test kit info page (link in my sig) and get EITHER an HTH 6-way drops kit (no strips!) if your Walmart happens to have it, or a cheap OTO (yellow drops) kit. Then tell us what your pH and chlorine level are. If you get the 6-way, tell us what your CYA level is.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-08-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: make quote appear correctly

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

FYI -- Those tabs are trichlor and they are very acidic and drive pH down.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

I took it the store for testing. Cya is 75 ch was .5 ph 7 alkalinity 80 we had high phosphate How should we fix.? Thanks

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Don't worry about the phosphate level, it's not important at this point. Re-read the advice that Pooldoc posted above, and follow those steps, then we can help you go from there.

one more question before starting to dump chlorine tonight. what about the Ph level, should I do anything to increase that first? or do I need to wait? I have baking soda tabs I found at walmart that go into a floater that I have in the pool to help the alkalinity stay where it needs to be.
    Thanks again

Probably should wait until you get a test kit to mess around with anything other than adding bleach...borax is what is advised here to raise ph.
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Please fill in your information in the following chart. It makes it much easier to help. Also, if you will make a signature with your pool specs in it, please. (See link in my signature below.)

It's much easier to answer your questions, when we know something about your pool. We often 'waste' the first few posts back and forth collecting information. So, please complete our new Pool Chart form -- it takes about 30 seconds, but will save much more than that.
    Pool Chart Entry Form
    Pool Chart Results
    By the way, unless there is some product out there that I have never heard of, those tabs you saw were probably not baking soda but more likely a stabilized form of chlorine called Trichlor which add chlorine and CYA (stabilizer) at the same time.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: fix pool chart links

here is the link to the arm and hammer tabs, definitly is baking soda - http://www.armandhammer.com/deodoriz...e-tablets.aspx

I did the pool chart entry form and will complete the results this afternoon when i get home. I am already at work, it is too dark when I leave in the morning to test. I asked my husband to test before he leaves this morning if he has time to do it I will record them. I will put in the readings from yesterday morning for now. i did dump 3 gallons last night as advised.

okay this morning using aquacheck chlorine is about a 1, ph about 7 and alkalinity same at about 80. Should I add borax? and if so before or after the liquid bleach tonight? thanks again

+ Reply to Thread