+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intex 15x48 with algae

Unhappy Intex 15x48 with algae

I have an Intex 15' x 48" with an algae problem and the stock pump that just sucks (or lack there of). I'm heading out tonight to pick up my BBB supplies to get started cleaning it out. I've already filled out the pool chart. I have to wait 2 weeks before I can order the 1500 gph Intex pump and a decent vacuum. Can someone please let me know how much bleach I should add tonight to get the algae killing started?

Default Re: Intex 15x48 with algae

I bought 2 of the super shock packages from Walmart along with the 20 Mule Borax and A&H baking soda right next to the Borax. My PH is 7.1 and chlorine is pretty much nil. What all should I add before I go to bed tonight?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I would not add the "super shock" packages--they are a blend of chlorine, CYA, and "mystery goop", as Ben and WAtermom like to call it. Add plain, unscented bleach.....but how much is going to depend on your CYA level. If you can give us a set of test results, taken with a drop-based kit (no strips!!), we can tell you what/how much to add.
    Janet

CL - .5
    PH - 7.5
    ALK - 150 ppm
    TH - 150 ppm
    CYA - < 30

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'm going to throw some stock answers at you . . . but they are all correct for your situation.

+ Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Test the pool as soon and you can, and post the results. If you get the 6-way kit, ALSO test the water you FILL the pool with, especially if it's a well, and post THOSE results as well. (The HTH is the best available kit you're likely to find locally, but it's not the K-2006. It can only provide rough measurements chlorine levels above 5 ppm, and it measures "TOTAL" hardness, rather than "CALCIUM" hardness, which is not ideal.)

+ Having a good test kit makes pool care easier for EVERYONE. A good test kit means a kit that can test chlorine from 0 - 25 ppm, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness, and stabilizer with reasonable accuracy. Test strips (AKA 'guess-strips' ) do NOT meet this standard. Some pool store testing is accurate; most is not. The ONLY way you'll know whether your pool store is accurate or bogus, is by testing accurately your own self. On the other hand, pool store 'computer' dosing recommendations are NEVER trustworthy -- ignore them. They are designed to sell more chemicals than you need, and WILL cause many pool problems.

+ We recommend the Taylor K-2006 test kit, which meets the requirements above, for many reasons. The HTH 6-way drops kit is a great starter kit, and is compatible with the K2006 (it's made by Taylor). There are a few alternatives; for example Lamotte makes an FAS-DPD kit that's OK -- but it costs 3x as much. But, we're not aware of any test that is better, and since we are all familiar with the K-2006 (and can help you with it) we recommend it exclusively ( Test kit info page )

One caution for the 2012 season: Amazon does not stock the kits directly. So when buying at Amazon, Amato is our current preferred seller. However, they often don't list enough stock to last the whole day, so try order mid-morning. You should expect a delivered cost under $60 for the K2006A and under $95 for the K2006C. If you can't find that, wait a day.

+ Here are links to the kits we recommend:
    HTH 6-Way Test Kit @ Walmart
    Taylor K2006A (3/4 oz bottles) @ Amazon
    Taylor K2006C (2 oz bottles) @ Amazon

+ The dichlor, linked below, will add both chlorine AND stabilizer. Unlike most dichlor sold these days, neither of these products is blended with goop. The 24# PoolBrand box is a GREAT deal; the Kem-Tek is a good price. Also, you can add PLAIN 6% household bleach.
    24 lbs PoolBrand bagged shock @ Sams Club
    Kem-Tek Dichlor 22 lbs @ Amazon

My results came from the HTH 6-way kit from Walmart. I have about 6 gal of bleach sitting and waiting to be used on the pool. I also have the Borax and baking soda. My water gets really cloudy about 2' down and you can't see the bottom. There is a slight green tinge to the water and I know it's algae. I've been fighting this for the last 3 weeks. I definitely need a better pump/filter and will be ordering that in about 2 weeks along with a good vacuum and the Taylor test kit.

I just added ~1 gal of bleach. I'll check the chlorine level in the morning before I go to work and make any additions if needed. I'll have my wife test it throughout the day tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you updated on how things are going.

My main concern right now is what to do to get through the next couple weeks so the kids can enjoy the pool.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Using the volume calculator from Bleachcalc, I'm getting about 5300 gallons...does that sound right? If so, your shock level with a CYA <30 is 12-15 ppm. To reach 12 ppm from zero chlorine, you would add 1 gallon of 6% bleach. Once you reach that 12 ppm, then you need to test and add more chlorine to get back up to the 12 ppm, as often as possible--for reference, each 1.5 cups of 6% bleach will raise your FC by 1 ppm, so you can use that as a guide to figure out how much more you need to add. The more consistent you are about maintaining that shock level, the faster the pool will clear. You need to maintain that level until the pool clears, the algae is visibly gone, and you can go from one night to just before sunup the next morning without losing more than 1 ppm of chlorine,.

Janet

In the last 24 hours, I've put 2.5 gal of bleach in my pool and the water is almost clear. I can actually see the bottom now and boy does it need vacuumed. I really can't do much for that right now though. I'm going to buy the Intex Deluxe maintenance kit when I buy my new pump/filter in 2 weeks. I just have to get my wife to keep up with the maintenance while I'm at my annual training for the National Guard. I'm really glad I found this forum and will now be able to afford to maintain my pool. The bad part is that I have to tear it down this fall so I can get the ground more level next spring. More than likely I'm going to add a deck next year to minimize the amount of grass and junk that gets in the pool. That, and I just don't trust the ladder. I'm not a little guy.

Glad the water is clearing up--just stay the course with the bleach, and you'll have a clear pool in no time.

We're glad you found us, too!!

Janet

I'm in the Reserves so I feel your pain having to be gone and worrying about the pool. Do yourself a favor and if you don't have the Taylor 2006C test kit (it's the big one), get it....BEFORE getting the bigger pump.

I was going to tell you since you are going to tear down the pool anyway, don't bother with the bigger pump because as you can see, proper levels are the key to a nice pool. Since your pool is pretty now, you can see that the pump you have will do the job. However, that said, one BIG reason I would say it would be OK in your instance to get the bigger pump is to upgrade to the bigger filters. PoolDoc recommended a few months ago looking into Unicell filters for your Intex pump and simply soaking them in bleach to clean and reuse them......they are worlds better than the Intex filters.....night and day. I was replacing the little filters probably 1 1/2 times a week before I got the bigger pump then it was right a once a week with the big filters......using the big Unicell filters in my big pump, I think the first change out was THREE weeks.

You may have to train the wife on using the test kit, but there are videos that you can watch with her first, and it will be easy as pie for her to use it after a couple of times. Proper chemical levels are the absolute key for a nice, clean pool that everyone will enjoy.

Good luck at summer camp!!

Bob E.
    Intex 10' x 30" metal frame pool, Intex 2500 gph filter/pump, Intex Saltwater generator, SwimMax 11KW heater, 2 x Small Game Solar Domes.

+ Reply to Thread