+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Building box to quiet pump

Default Building box to quiet pump

I'm thinking of building an insulated box to drop over my pump and drown out some of the noise. My pump is under my deck and so are my outdoor speakers, and it would be nice to listen to quiet music without the hum of the pump running.

How much ventilation does the pump need? I'm thinking of a 3' deep x 3' high by 2' wide. Maybe just three sided made from wood with an insulating material on the inside. Probably something I can just lift off to get to the pump or maybe I'll put a hinged lid on the top. Anyone done this? Think it would work? Downsides?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Building box to quiet pump

Sorry it took so long to respond. Started to a couple times and either got frustrated or distracted. Not with the post but trying to link something. I'd bet keeping the pump out of direct sun is the most important thing to keeping it cool. Trick on any box is to keep the motor from sucking its own hot outlet air back into the intake. A lot of pump noise is enhanced by conduction both through the base mount and pipes. I have my pump mounted on a piece of 3/4 ply that sits on another piece of ply separated with rubber bottle stoppers available at Home Depot. They act as vibration insulators. Pipes are also isolated with sections of auto radiator hose. Between the hose and the mount the pump is pretty well isolated and the noise is greatly reduced. I attached pics of the base and the overall pump. May give you some ideas.
    Al

Attachment 669

Attachment 670
    Last edited by Poconos; 05-13-2007 at 06:17 PM.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Neat idea with the bottle stoppers.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Al, You da Man!!! Your inventions are ingenious
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

That is a great idea. Nice job.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah, my pump has sat outside for so many years that the gold is now silver!

Not joking either--it's bleached to silver!
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Hey Carl. How did you find a thread that's over 3 years old?
    Al
    16'x32' oval 22K gal IG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S244T sand filter; Hayward superpump 1 HP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:5.5

+ Reply to Thread