+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: newbie used 2X4 method to start pump, need help on which contacts need cleaning.

rnjng Guest

Default newbie used 2X4 method to start pump, need help on which contacts need cleaning.

So I've been trying to run our filter at night, so the heat in the day doesn't harm my pump. I went to turn it on this evening, and I had the hum. Thought great, now we need a pump too! So I researched it here in this forum, and found the 2X4 method.(I tried shocking it, right when it happened, but I guess I needed a bigger hammer) And low n behold, it started up. I unplugged and plugged it in 5 times, and it fired up everytime. Should I even try cleaning contacts, if so what is the procedure???

THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Cleaning the centrifugal contacts on a swimming pool pump (picture)

Don't know what kind of pump you have but they're all pretty similar. The pic is the rear end of a Hayward Superpump. Right in the middle you see a whitish spring, actually there is another one opposite, that's the centrifugal mechanism. You also see the switch assembly, the inverted V contacts. When the shaft gets up to speed the centrifugal weights fly apart and the mechanism opens the switch to disconnect the starter winding. Those contacts are what you need to clean. An automotive 'point file' or any thin blade file is best because it doesn't leave any grit residue, but you can also use a piece of 400 or 600 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. Hardware or auto stores.
    Al

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-30-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fix pix w/ Picasa copy; edit title

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: newbie used 2X4 method to start pump, need help on which contacts need cleaning.

Al,

That's a great picture and a clear, concise post....thanks!

rnjng Guest

Default Re: newbie used 2X4 method to start pump, need help on which contacts need cleaning.

Thanks!!! The visual is awesome!

what is the 2x4 method
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

I think that was like literally taking a piece of 2x4 (wood) and whacking the side of the pump just enough to nudge the components to cause the 'whirring' sound to click in the motor and turn over ... crazy me .. i was desparate and tried it out .. thankfully one knock was enough to bring me to my senses and re-think the electronics .. a little more investigation and it turned out that the arc burns on both contacts were needing a sanding down .. and by doing so .. it presented proper metal to metal contact as opposed to arc-burn residue to arc-burn residue contact .. which (i guess) did provide sufficient metal surface to metal surface contact for electrical current to go through .. any hoot ... one $2 dollar file saved my >$200 pump!! woo hoo!!
    ~~
    18' Round Dolfino type AGP w/blow-up ring w/ modified piping for Jacuzzi sand filter & 3/4HP Hayward Superpump

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Another cheap success story. You got it right in that every time the contacts make and break there is a small arc and some metal melts causing roughness on the contact surface. Eventually the contacts may not make a good electrical connection and all it takes is a little movement (2x4 shock) to cause them to make contact. Some relay contacts actually do a slight wiping action when coming together which tends to keep the contact surface clean and smooth. If the 2x4 trick works then it's time to open the case and clean the contacts. To restate something, it is best to use a file instead of sandpaper because sandpaper can leave grit embedded in the soft contact metal.
    Al

Would a nail file suffice? Or would that leave a bit of grit or be too wide?

Best alternative to a file would be a strip of that wet-or-dry 600 grit paper. Cut a strip and fold it over a thinned down popsicle stick or something like that to resemble a file. I don't use nail files, I bite my fingernails, but I suspect it may be too coarse anyhow. Or just fold the paper over on itself and push-pull it between the contacts. You only have to burnish the contacts which means you don't have to take much metal off. Just clean them up a bit.
    Al

I keep receiving a message that says that I am not allowed to view the photo of the back of the motor. Is this true?

+ Reply to Thread