+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing a 24' round AGP...

Default Installing a 24' round AGP...

I feel like it has been one problem after another, but finally we have made it here...to the week of installation...

Today the installers came out to do the excavating to level the ground, however, after finding a few LARGE boulders, we realize that on one side that is as low as it can go (large boulder to close to foundation of house, if removed may compromise house) so we will need to build up the other side a bit to make a level spot for the pool.

the installers told us to have stone dust delivered and spread it over the whole circle and level out (build up) the low side with it.

they said they would compact it down when they came back to install the pool and all would be fine, however I have never heard of building up the ground to level an AGP.

Is this something to be concerned over??? I know these installers do several hundreds of pools each season and know more than me, but I am afraid the pool will eventually collapse if something shifts??

Thanks!!!!

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Installing a 24' round AGP...

I built a pad for my pool since I built it on a low spot on my property and needed to get it higher than the creek right next to it since the creek sometimes crests the banks.
    The pad is about 1.5-2 feet thick at it's highest location, it is made of whatever pile of dirt I had kicking around - probably clay since everything here is clay!
    On top of that I used stone dust to complete levelling the pool - the pad wintered for one season before I started building, however I believe the same compaction could easily be achieve using the right equipment.
    I really don't think you have anyhting to worry about.

Pool manufacturers highly warn against it since AG pools are generally designed with "self install" in mind, I believe the manufacturers want to avoid unnecessary attempted warranty claims because if Joe Spadeandrake were to do it, he likely won't compact it properly causing early structural failure.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Installing a 24' round AGP...

You can build up, I did. It's a LOT more expensive than digging down. I recommend that you have the outer wall of the build-up re-inforced with a retaining wall. Use stone/block, not railroad ties.

Here's a familiar picture of mine--you can see the rows of block. Rather than rock dust, we used QP--Quarry Product, similar to crushed stone but not washed of the dirt. Packs like iron.

Carl

+ Reply to Thread