+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on Pipes

IMherDad is offline ** No working email address ** IMherDad 0

Cool Advice on Pipes

We have a 33' AGP we put in last year. Of course when it was installed they used the flex hose for the returns and off the skimmer basket going into the pump.

What I would like to do is hard pipe all that this year but I am not quiet sure what I need to make that work. I am no plumber but I think I could figure it out with a little help. I am not quiet sure just "how" to connect it all together.

When we close the pool in the fall we bring the pump inside so I would like to be able to remove it when it comes closing time.

Any advice would be great and of course close up pics would be greatly appreciated!

duraleigh Guest

Solvent welding PVC is pretty easy and fairly rewarding as well. It would be quite tedious to walk you through it on the forum, however.

I would suggest that you take a look at other pools near you to see what they look like and then go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get one of their guys to walk you through the process.

If I offerred one tip it would be to keep all your pipes vertical or horizontal if possible....angled pipes, while perfectly functional, somehow don't seem quite as aesthetically pleasing to me.

You will install two "unions" where your pump connects to the plumbing. They allow you to unscrew the pump and then screw it back in in the Spring. Again, a hands on demo at Home Depot will be much clearer than trying to convey all that on the forum.

Go for it....you'll be pleased with your results.

Dave S.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

rigid pvc is pretty easy to work with. I have plumbed numerous aquariums with it over the the years. The pipe itself can be cut with a serrated kitchen knife about as easily as with a hacksaw. Best bit of advice it that before you undertake the acutual project is practice gluing a few fittings onto pieces of pipe. The primer and glue can be a bit messy and most people use way to much the first time they try. You should get a good feel for it after just 2 or 3 practice runs and then you should be good to go. Also, measure instead of eyeball and make sure you allow for the pipe that will be inside the fitting! Better a bit too long than a bit too short as it is very easy to cut the excess off. (I learned that one the hard way!) After a cut get rid of the small pieces that stick to the pipe by running a file or your finger over the cut edge. They will come right off. Take some time and study the various fittings at your local Home Depot or Lowes and ask them for advice. They are usually pretty knowedgable! Good luck on your project and have fun with it!
    As Duraleigh said, a union fitting on each side of your pump will make it easy to remove it for the winter. You might also want to put a valve after each union to close the pipes off when the pump is out so nothing crawls in there.
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-04-2006 at 11:03 AM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I use PVC all the time--it's great stuff! My pool's plumbing is a combination of PVC and TigerFlex. But ALL fittings that attach to the PVC or TF are glued-on. Use ONLY Schedule 40 fittings--they handle pressure. (Schedule 80 is OK too--heavier than Sched 40). Other fittings at your home-improvement store are for drains, which are not pressurized and can fail under pressure.

Tips: Buy cleaner and primer as well as glue--sometimes the primer does both. Purple primer is ugly but allows the inspector to see it was primed. Same for blue glue.
    Use lots and lots of quick-disconnect fittings. Put one at EVER place you may want to break the line. Use lots of ball valves too--many double as quick releases. That way you can shut down the skimmer and keep the low drain, or vice versa. You can disconnect something and not have your pool empty in your face!

Plus, come winter close-down, those quick-releases will be a BLESSING. (just remember to lube the rubber gaskets with silicone grease especially for that purpose, and seal them in something airless--that way they don't crack over the winter.)
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

When I replumbed my system I decided against unions because of their cost and I wanted something flexible to reduce stress on pipes and fittings and cut down on noise. Wound up with sections of straight auto radiator hose of the right size slipped over the PVC pipes and held with hose clamps. You can get 3 foot sections in almost any auto store. Go for the cheaper stuff, you don't need the super reinforced high cost hose. Should be about $20 per 3' section or thereabouts. Mine have been in place for probably 5-6 seasons now and show very little sign of deterioration.
    Al
    Last edited by Poconos; 10-12-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Hello all,
    Although I haven't gotten my pool yet, I too would like to hard pipe everything. I also plan on adding a solar heater, so I was wondering if I need the $60.00 three way valve that is shown on most of the solar products web pages. I am sure that the built in bypass valve that some collectors have is good enough to eliminate the flow, but because the collector will be about 30 feet from the pool, should I install the three way valve to save my pump from laboring. Any pics of your pool's hard piping setups would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread