+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hi please tell me how long to backwash ?

Default Hi please tell me how long to backwash ?

How long do I backwash ?

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: Hi please tell me how long to backwash ?

Do you have a sight glass on the bachwash line (bubble looking thing)? If so, backwash until the water in the sight glass is clear. If not, backwash for about 2 minutes, go back to filter mode, check your pressure to see if it has returned to the "clean" level, and repeat as necessary (though 2 minutes of backwashing will usually suffice).

Make sure that you shut down the pump each time before moving the handle on the multiport valve.

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Sierrasmom,

We need to know some details of your pool setup, ie. pool size, pump size, filter, solar panels if any to answer that question.

Pat
    20,000 Gallon IG Diamond Brite pool, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump, Hayward Microclear DE3600 filter, Favco solar panels, Poolpilot DIG-220 with SC-48 cell.

+ SWCG OPERATION thread here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1226
    + SWCG Running Costs post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=316
    + Effective Stabilizer addition post here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?p=6645

27 round above ground pool 1.5 for the pump jacuzzi sand filter

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Hi Sierrasmom,
    it really doesn't matter how big/small or indifferent your pool is, whether your filter is black green red or blue, you backwash until your water coming out is clean/clear. Like Kurt mentioned, if you have a sight glass, it will tell you when to stop by the color (or lkack thereof)of the water, after stopping the pump, switch to rinse for about 10-20 seconds to clear out any debris still floating in the top of the filter.
    If you do not have a sightglass, look at what's coming out the end of the hose - same deal there.
    If your filter was extremely dirty, it may take 2 minutes or more to get it clean, if it was just somewhat dirty, a minute may do the job - see how pool size doesn't come into effect.

ok thanks but someone asked how big my pool was and pump was .sorry i asked a question from now on i will just read and not ask ..i just need some questions answered we bought this pool from an individual it didnt come with anything i am just trying to get it clear so my daughter can enjoy it this summer ..

My routine is switch to backwash, watch the sight glass and watch for clear water, usually about a minute, then rinse, then back to filter, shutting off the pump between any filter position changes.

I have never really thought of this before but should you typically backwash in high speed on a two speed pump, would it matter, just take more time on low speed? I have always backwashed in high speed.

Sierrasmom,
    Keep asking questions, it is the best wau to learn. I dont think Matt was saying anything bad about your question he was just leting you know that the size of pool doesnt matter as far as backwashing. ( seeing how you were asked that question earlier) Sometimes on this here internet box it is hard to tell when someone is typing if they are being a smart ass or not and knowing the post Matt has posted before , he was not beng smart, and welcome to the pool learning center.
    Boyd
    27' Round AG, 17,204 gallons, sand filter
    &
    Proud Father of an Army Soldier

diddo the pool idiot. Sierrasmom, Matt had the correct answer. He was not in any way putting you down for answering the question about size, ect. He would not do that. It is just that size does not matter. Your question was a good one, people new to pools need to know this.

You may have more questions before you are a pool expert, we are all here to help.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

ok thanks i have a filteration problem i think .i can backwash and i have good pressure and then there is hardly any pressure .i just dont understand what is wrong i believe this is my trouble ...thanks for all your help

+ Reply to Thread