+ Reply to Thread

Thread: K1005 I-care Test Kit

Default K1005 I-care Test Kit

This is probably going to be a lame first post, but I did not really have a question as I have been able to find most of my answers on the site. I just thought I would register in advance of my questions.

So the one question I did have was I bought the K1005 i-care test kit from Taylor, and than realized that the most recommended one is the K2006. Am I missing anything critical? It does not look like it, but I thought I would ask. If I am I will get the 2006 next year. Only one month left of swimming season this year

A am a new pool owner (30,000ish gallons, vinyl liner) with a heater and a chlorine tablet feeder and a sand pump.

I look forward to reading more the the great content on the site and eventually posting a more worthy question.

Red

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: K1005 I-care Test Kit

Yeah, the K2005 has the color match chlorine test instead of the FAS-DPD method in the K2006. The FAS method is the only practical method for homeowners (or pool stores) to use to measure levels of chlorine above 5 ppm . . . and if you check the "Best Guess" chart, you'll need you need levels above 5 pretty quickly, as your CYA level rises.

However, if you are not having problems now, and avoid adding more stabilizer, you should be fine through the end of the season.

giroup01 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst giroup01 0

Just get the R-0870 DPD powder and R-0871 FAS titrant (chlorine) and you basically have the equivalent of a K-2006.

Note that the pH reagents in the K-1005 are different than those in the K-2000 series, but other than that the other reagents in the K-1005 are the same as those in the K-2006.
    Reseller of Taylor water-testing products for Canada

Well that is good news. If I order a 2006 next year, I can still use my left over reagents. Except for the pH ones. I also get to do more titrations. I don't get to do lab work anymore at work so my pool is my surrogate

With regards to CYA, my primary chlorination source is triclor tabs through a feeder, Pentair 300 I think. My current CYA level is 55ppm which is not to bad since the previous owner has had the pool open for 3 months. I think I only have a month left of swimming season in north west Ohio so I should be able to limp along.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The pH comparator in the K-1005 uses a smaller sample (and IMHO is a little harder to read) and reads 6.8 - 8.2 where the K-2006 pH comparator uses a larger sample (more color to see through and compare) and reads 7.0 - 8.0 in finer increments.
    I find the "drop 'till the color's gone" FAS-DPD test in the K-2006 FAR eaiser to read than the color match DPD test especially when performing the test for Combined Chlorine. The color match DPD test will bleach out at high chlorine levels; it reads as no chlorine, so, beware. You can add the K-1515 which is the FAS-DPD test - no need to throw out the TA, CYA, CH, pH test 'till they are empty or too old. I haven't used my color-match DPD since I got the FAS-DPD.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hayward will sell the K-1515 FAS-DPD kit for list at about $20-$25 which has the test vial, 0870 powder, 0871 reagent, and 0003 reagent, plus a nifty box to store it in. Add that to the K-2005 and you have the K2006. The K-1000 OTO test kit from Taylor upgrades the OTO and pH test to the same as the K-2006, and includes R-0014, rather than R-0004 for the pH test. R-0014 includes a chlorine neutralizer so it can read accurately in higher chlorine situations (Chlorine makes pH read high). list on the K-1000 is about $10.

If you have the K-1515 and K-1000, the only other tests you need are the T/A, CYA, and CH tests (acid and base demand are worthless).

Note: Waterbear and I had a discussion on this last recommendation. I have moved every post after this one to the China Shop where it really belongs at both Ben's and 'Bear's suggestion.
    Look for Acid and Base Demand.... C.

Carl
    Last edited by CarlD; 09-02-2011 at 10:47 AM.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread