I'm glad I found this forum as I'm taking over the care of my parents pool since they are no longer able to keep it up. I went there yesterday and found the pool walls covered in green algae. There is also re algae everywhere (skimmers, bottom, sides). I know red algae is actually bacteria so I checked the bromine canister and of course it was empty. The pool is a kidney shaped gunite circa 1986, bromine, 36000 gallons with a DE filter. When I went looking for their test kit I found it dusty in the basement, apparently they have been relying on the local pool supply chain. I ordered a Taylor K2106 Bromine test kit. I will try to get the additional dimension data etc and fill out the form when I have a chance. A couple initial questions:

1. I spent several hours scrubbing the sides and got off a good amount of the green algae, there is still some on the lower sides/bottom of the deep end and there is still red algae all over the bottom and skimmers. Should I start adding poly-quat algicide now or wait until I've brushed and vacuumed several times.

2. My mother swears that you can only use an oxygen shock in the bromine pool. Is this true or did someone give her misinformation?