+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Intex above ground owner - Psuedomonas?

Default Re: New Intex above ground owner - Psuedomonas?

Ok, just finished checking with my OTO and it was dark yellow(no orange tint) again so I'm guessing it was at least 5, followed with a test strip and it looked to be in between 5 and 10. Should I add bleach tonight since I skipped last night? I'm thinking I should. It's been raining nonstop for pretty much almost 48 hours here so the sun has not had a good chance to burn anything off yet. My husband had to let a few inches drain out today from all the rain and then we had a freak torrential downpour AFTER he did that, so he may have to let a little out again tomorrow. I ordered the Taylor kit thru the forum's Amazon shop(along with a brush and an Unicel filter cartridge) so I'm hoping the kit will be here at least by Tuesday, but won't know till it gets here.

So...adding a gallon of bleach tonight sound like a good idea?
    11k gal 22' x 52" Intex Ultra. PF=10

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Higher is better than lower, when eradicating Psuedomonas. But I'd skip a day, if you are concerned about liner bleaching. You can make it more carefully 'high' once the K2006 arrives.

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure and since I skipped the previous night, I thought it may be a good idea to go ahead and add it, so I did. Hopefully I didn't do too much damage. I may have to skip tonight though depending on how things look with the OTO test. I'll be glad when the Taylor kit gets here!

Oh and something else, I thought I remembered reading in another post about Psuedomonas that it's a good idea to put the floats in the pool to help kill off the bacteria that may be on them too. I have had them out all week, should I put them in there when adding the bleach at night? Or do you think they have died off yet out of the water for several days? And when should I attempt to get back in?

Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I don't think Psuedomonas is likely to survive, except as bacterial spores, on dry hard plastic. And since P. aeruginosa is ubiquitous -- often part of normal skin flora -- the presence of spores on floats is probably a non-issue.

Well that's good to know then, thank you. Last night the OTO was still dark yellow(no orange) and test strip in between 5 and 10. It was sunny yesterday so I imagine some of the chlorine got burnt off, but there was still probably a good amount amount that stayed. I skipped the bleach and will check again tonight. Hope the Taylor kit gets here soon.

I checked with the OTO and it's still dark yellow at around 5 and the test strip was at 5(not as dark as it has been). Should I use bleach tonight since I skipped last night? I put a couple of trichlor pucks in the floater cause the one that was left was almost dissolved and I figured I lost a little CYA with the slight drain my husband had to do cause of he rain the other day. I think I may have some mustard algae too cause I was reading about it and it sounds like the stuff I was vacuuming off the pool floor everyday before I got the rash(looked like dirt, floated up off the floor like dirt too). I was vacuuming every day before we would swim and it would be back in the wrinkles and creases of the liner the next morning every time. I have yet to vacuum since then(it's been a week) since I didn't know if I should get in the pool yet. I never vacuum from outside of the pool cause I like to see what I'm doing and make sure I get it all up. I'm waiting for the brush I ordered to get here, the vacuum I use has some bristles, but I know I need a dedicated brush.
    Should I put bleach in tonight or are my chlorine levels probably ok?

In generally, higher chlorine levels are better the lower ones, anytime you are trying to eradicate any biofilm forming pool problem, which includes BOTH P. aeruginosa AND mustard algae.

Well the Taylor kit AND the brush both came in tonight, so I'm going to brush tomorrow(getting in the pool to do so) and attempt to run a test. I will admit, this kit is intimidating. ��

I added HALF a 121 oz jug of bleach last night since I skipped adding it for two nights, but was worried about adding too much till the kit got here. I'm going to check with the OTO tonight, but I think it will be fine to wait till tomorrow night after I've had a chance to brush before adding more bleach. Unless of course it's not dark yellow, then I'll add. Hopefully now that the kit is here along with the brush I can knock out everything that may be in there. It may just be dirt/pollen settling in the creases, it WAS pretty dry the first week or so after we opened the pool and there is a tree nearby...it also doesn't help that when my husband mows the yard it kicks up a dust storm that blows straight thru the backyard. It does sound like mustard algae though, especially the way it keeps showing up each morning after I vacuum.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll report my findings with the test tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by May76 View Post
    Well the Taylor kit AND the brush both came in tonight, so I'm going to brush tomorrow(getting in the pool to do so) and attempt to run a test. I will admit, this kit is intimidating.
    Videos! Watch the videos: http://pool9.net/tk/

+ Reply to Thread