We moved into a new (to us) house in TX this week with a concrete inground pool (~15,000 gal) with sand filter that was built in the mid-80's. We've never had a pool before and are really coming into this without knowing anything about maintaining a pool (dumb, I know). I don't know how the previous owners maintained the pool. The pool didn't look bad when we moved in 4 days ago but it has gotten greener and greener each day. The first time I tested (with cheap test strips) the TC and FC were zero. I've been adding a lot of shock to bring the FC up. The levels now show TC 0.5, FC 1, pH somewhere between 7.2-7.8, Total Alk 80, Cyanuric Acid 30-50.

I'll get the "good" HTH test kit at Wal-Mart today along with a cart load of bleach. I have some Algaecide that I haven't used yet.

We have been brushing and vacuuming but our vacuum is manual and doesn't seem to have very good suction. The filter is running 24/7 right now.

What else should we do to get rid of this algae? What more info do you need from me?

My three little boys are dying to play in the pool. Do I need to keep them out till everything is crystal clear and blue again? Thanks!