Hi!

I have read that the OTO is the most reliable test yet have not tried it. I purchased the FAS DPD test I believe 2 years ago from Ben (??) or someone else who writes on this forum as it came highly recommended. The problems I have with this test is that the black granules once dissolved cling like gum to the side of the plastic vial and cannot be removed without serious scrubbing. This started last summer. Also, I have to add a lot more granules to make the water turn pink. The water never turns back to clear rather stays grayish dull in color while adding the reagent which I suspect is from the gummy residue. Although I know I added enough bleach to have 31ppm Cl in my pool the other day, I could not verify with this test. So..... I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with this product. I keep my pool kits in the pantry closet where the humidity is less than 60% and temp under 80. I think most chems have atleast a 2 year expiration so eventhough I have granules left I need to order something new.

Would it be better to buy the OTO? If not, is the Taylor product good or is there another brand I should try?

Oh, also, while I am thinking about it, I want to eventually use Borax. What is the best method/reagent to test for borates in the water?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate all the info available on this site. Although I have learned a lot, I believe you can never have a trouble free pool! I will post another question about Calcium and CYA testing shortly.

( Gunite Pool, somewhat heart shaped, 18 x 40', ~30k gallons, 8.25% Bleach, Polaris 480 Sweeper, HOT Coastal South GA and we are away most of the time, summer 2012 we used pool about 10 times so had to use trichlor which sent CYA over 100)