Hi, I am new to this forum. I noticed that no one sells fluorescent pool lights. CFLs seem ideal for this application. They are cheap and almost as efficient as LEDs. Therefore, I decided to convert my American Products 400 W. incandescent pool light to CFL. I built an adapter so that four 100 W equivalent CFLs screw into and then the assembly screws into the pool light housing. In my area of southern California, the electric company underwrites the CFLs so they only cost $2.00 for four. This worked perfectly except that I CAN'T SEAL IT!

Reading a number of forums it seems like resealing is a peace of cake. Just make sure everything is squeaky clean, install a new gasket and tighten it up. Well, I have done that now four times. Each time water leaks in behind the lens. My CFLs turn on perfectly but I shut them off when I see water behind the lens. This has been incredibly frustrating. I have tried using the old gasket, a new gasket and the new gasket sealed with silicone seal. On that last attempt, I let the silicone seal dry for several weeks before reinstalling the assembly but it also leaked. It has now been a year and I have no new ideas. The pool light just sits on the deck starring at me, mocking me.

We are having the pool replastered soon and I asked two contractors to include resealing the light. Both refused and said that it is almost impossible to do. I'm not convinced. There must be a simple trick, something I am missing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

DrBAF