Ok, so we have a 15' X 42" steel frame, soft sided pool. Not sure if it's an Intex or what, it's whatever Kmart sells. It was great all last year but this year upon start-up we're having problems. The cover blew off during the winter and I never put it back on for lack of help. I did notice that algae had apparently started to grow in it during the fall and the water had turned a brownish/red by spring. I was told that the color had to do with iron in the water reacting with the algae and that I would need to shock the pool to kill the algae (which I thought would have died over the winter) and let it fall to the bottom for vacumning.

I shocked the pool and the red went away and was replaced by greenish/blue. I thought I was on the way to a clear pool. According to the test strips, the hardness is very high so I need to adjust for that and I am trying to get the pH under control......it is high.

The problem i am having now is extremely cloudy water. I don't know if it is suspended particles or a chemical issue. I don't have a vacumn so I ahave been spending hours with a pole skimmer. I got plenty of crap out, some dark slimy stuff as well as some white stuff. I believe I have most of that out but I can't see to the bottom.

I am lost as to whether I should continue with the filtering and chemicals or just drain it and start from scratch.

Please help and if anyone knows of a decent vacumn that would be appreciated too.