One more note: if you use a mostly opaque pool cover, then you can cut down daily chlorine loss significantly. In my own pool I have a mostly opaque electric safety cover so have a lower daily FC loss of around 1.0 ppm with an FC of around 3-6 ppm and CYA of 40 ppm and the loss is only that high because the pool is used 1-2 hours every day (longer on weekends) and is kept warm at 88ºF (if the pool were not used and kept covered but still at 88ºF, then the loss is around 0.7 ppm FC per day). I add 6-8 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid to my 16,000 gallon pool twice a week costing around $15 per month.

More typical daily chlorine losses in uncovered pools are around 2-3 ppm FC per day depending on CYA level and amount of sun on the pool. With 100 ppm CYA, you get around a 16% average loss per day so over 2 ppm initially and less than 1 ppm towards the end of the week. The main downside with this higher CYA is that IF you miss a dose or the chlorine level gets too low for whatever reason, then it takes a lot more chlorine to shock the pool to get rid of algae, so you need to be more diligent. The 50 ppm Borates can help somewhat since in addition to being a pH buffer, they are a mild algicide.