After reading several posts, I am more confused and uncertain than before as to which of these chemicals is best to use for spring start up. We will uncover our pool this evening when my husband gets home from work and I really ned to make sure I have everything I need as we live approx. 23 miles from "town" & I dont want to have to make a rush trip to get anything else we need.

My pool chemical inventory (as of right now) consists of:

6- 1# bags of Super Shock Calcium Hypochlorite 68%
2- 1.42 Gallon bottles of Great Value Bleach Sodium Hypochlorite 6%
2- 4# boxes Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
1- 5 Gallon bucket Soda Ash
@ 2# pH Rise
24 oz. Phosphate Remover
@ 1# pH Lower
32 oz. Combat 60 Algaecide

All of these, except the algaecide 60, bleach and baking soda, are left from last season and have been stored in our heated/cooled shop.
I have several questions. First, should I use the Super shock that I have left over to shock my pool along with the Combat 60 (that I paid $24.95 + tax for) to kill the algae or should I buy more bleach and return the Combat 60? From what I have read so far, there is no need for the Combat 60 as the bleach will kill the algae also.

Second, is it possible to maintain my chlorine levels all year with the bleach our should I also purchase the 3" picks for my online chlorinator?

Third, exactly where should all of my readings be before I dump my first chemicals in to rid my pool of the swamp water I am expecting to find? My pool is 18 x 36, @ 26000 gal. I looked at the pool calculator and it didn't make much sense, probably because I have not yet tested the water! Which brings me to my final question...when using test steps, I have a partial bottle of aquachem 6-way test strips and a partial bottle of AquaChek 3-way test strips. What exactly should I be checking and how often?

It seems hard to believe that I have been a pool owner for 11 years and am this confused, but I have always done EVERYTHING the pool store has told me to, always bought my overpriced chemicals from them and never ventured out to try alternatives....now I am looking for the most economical way to maintain my pool.

If you can refer me to other posts that can help, I would be more than happy to read they them, I am just having a hard time deciding which way to go with start up.

Thanks for your help!