Hi - I'm a newbie to the forum - We finally got our in-gound, vinyl liner, 16x32 pool, one light, light and pool bonded to the motor No ground rod at the pool site. Everything was inspected by the code office. 'Pool from hell' finished after weeks of many false starts and redos by the contractor -
We now have an electrical shock in the pool - when touching the concrete pad and water -concrete apron/pad does not have rebar and was not grounded. I read another discussion on this site that covered lots of possibilities.
The electrician and the utility company have tried to find the problem - no luck yet - however, we did find the possible source of the voltage 1.4V.
The electrician installed a sub-panel at the pump site and #6 - 3 cable from the service panel. the light is on a GFI circuit and bonded. Pump and saltwater system are wired to other breakers in the sub-panel.
The utility company completely disconnected service at the pole and pulled meter and ground at the entrance.
We still had the shock and 1.4v reading at the pool. Then we started disconnecting/testing the wiring at the sub-panel.
As it turns out, the voltage is coming from the ground (bare) wire from the #6-3 feeder from the service panel - even when the house is completely disconnected from the power line. BTW - the sub-panel has two buses - the ground wires are connected to one and the neutral wires to the other - When we connected the #6-3 ground to the neutral bus the shock stopped - but that doesn't meet code.
I just finished installing a new ground rod at the service panel yesterday - consensus was that the pool must have a better ground than the house and that should fix the problem - no luck. Haven't put a ground rod at the sub-panel - I guess that is next.
With all electrical power disconnected at the service panel I'm still getting voltage on the #6-3 ground - I'm thinking that the only voltage source left is the telephone - could that be the source of the shock? and how do I stop it?
Looking for help and experienced advice.
Thanks
TJ