Just thought I'd give an update on the paint situation. Looks like the mono-epoxy stuff we used is crap. As soon as we started using the pool this summer, the paint started coming loose in some areas of the pool, especially the benches and steps, and peeling off in big pieces. I can see blisters and cracks in the deeper parts of the pool also. Just so everyone knows, the paint we used was LifeGuard Mono-Epoxy over their etching primer. Both are sold by Top Secret Coatings, which sells many types of paint over the internet. Some people claim to have had success with their pool paint, but I'm not one of them. The vendor says the paint failed because of moisture corruption before the paint was fully cured. I say hogwash, but that's between me and them. Just be forewarned that this paint is apparently very, very difficult to apply properly. I followed all the instructions faithfully, but apparently that wasn't good enough. DIYers beware!

All that means that we will have to drain the pool again, remove the finish(sandblasting this time), and try something else. Ben, I gather that you are not a big fan of painting pools, so what do you think of replastering? If a replaster job is done right and maintained properly, will it last a good long time? I'm at the point where I'm a little gun-shy about painting again, so my wife and I are seriously thinking about replastering, even though it is quite expensive. Any thoughts or guidance you may have would be welcome.

Dan