Thread: Battling high alkalinity in new pool

Threaded View

Default Battling high alkalinity in new pool

Hello!

I've been reading these forums for quite some time now and I'd like to say they have been extremely helpful! I am a new pool owner; my fiancé and I bought a new home and acquired a pool and now *BAM* I need to become a chemist.

A little background and what the situation was a few weeks ago:
    We live in Minnesota - the previous owners got foreclosed on and the old owner gave up on the pool last fall when the auto-cover went kaput. As you might imagine, the pool was an absolute swamp when we bought the house this spring and moved in about a month ago. We are talking a foot+ of leaves/algae on the bottom. I spent hours and hours with a trusty pole w/ leaf bag attachment. And it sucked.

We finally got someone to come open the pool correctly (that story is a post in itself). I starting looking online for how the heck to get a pool up and running as it was a green disaster. I found this forum, and it's been a godsend to say the least. I've now got both a taylor K2006 and K1000 test kit. I started on the BBB method of maintaining the pool. By BBB I mean bleach, bleach, and bleach. The pool is now *mostly* blue. There was still a lot of cloudiness in the deep and from the initial test results it seemed pretty obvious:

FC: 8ppm
    CC: 1pmm
    ph: 7.8
    CYA: 35ppm
    TA: 375ppm
    CaHardness: 275

I decided to test the city tap water - its alkalinity was about 300ppm. Blech.

Now I can finally get to my questions revolving around lowering TA (yes, I've read the guide posted on these forums regarding lowering TA and now I know whey EVERYONE says it's a pain in the you-know-what).

I've been adding Muriatic Acid a couple times a day - about 48oz. at a time (20oz/10k gal) making sure to wait 6 hours or so between doses and also being sure that the ph wasn't under 7.2 when I added it. I've been doing this for 3 days and it does seems to be helping some - cloudiness is down and TA was down to 300ppm today. I'm concerned for when I do get below a ph of 7.0 ad it's been raining non-stop here and I think that has contributed to the aeration. That said.....

Question 1: I read on a different site that your pump should be off and water completely still when you add the acid to the deep end of the pool. (Link: Link removed by mod) Is this true? Seems the folks here are saying to add the acid with jets on, watch the ph and then aerate when ph is < 7.0. The link seems to think by adding the acid when the pool is still that it will change the TA without messing with the ph as much.

Question 2: Should I be adding/using borax to raise ph after adding Muriatic Acid? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this issue. Will borax help raise ph and have a minimal effect on re-raising the TA? I don't really have a good way to aerate the pool besides pointing the return jets upward. I've seen people mention cheap fountains but I'm clueless on how they work or which one to get. I honestly haven't searched the forums for fountain-related topics.

Question 3: I lied; this isn't a question - just a preemptive thanks for any responses!

Cheers!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-23-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: edit title
    25,000 Gallon Vinyl Lined Pool | Pentair Triton II Sand Filter
    Waterway 1.5HP SVL56S HE Pump | Sta Rite Heater (currently defunct.../sadface)