+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help. cant clear up my pool

Default help. cant clear up my pool

hey. i have an intex above ground pool 48” x 20’. it has the metal poles holding it
    up. We opened the pool. I have been testing with the taylor kit.
    i have a hayward proseries sand filter & a harris 3/4 hp pump for the filter.
    all in working order.

been shocking but still I can tell there is an algae bloom I cant get rid of at the moment.
    here are my testing numbers this AM.

Temp 78
    FC 15.2
    CC 0.6
    PH 7.6
    Alk 120
    CH 100
    CYA 70

i got my ph adjusted first, then we shocked with 20 gallons of walmart bleach. ive been
    filtering the bottom to waste. last night i filtered from the bottom. this morning still super cloudy, and even some white foam or suds like on top.
    what am i doing wrong? my kids are begging to swim but i cant even imagine!
    is it a patience issue to just keep filterinf and maintaining my numbers? ive read about the possibility of ammonia. i dont know what to do. this pool sits in full sun all day.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: help. cant clear up my pool

[ Upgraded membership; moved thread to Startup pool section => you may need to log in and log out to gain access! ]

OK.

Spring cleanup, when your pool is 'swamped' is usually slow and difficult. The amount of 'dirt' you have in such pools may be 100x or more the 'normal' level of dirt the system is designed to handle.

Fast cleanups are sometimes possible, but often require rather exacting techniques -- like vacuuming off the bottom, to waste, WITHOUT stirring up any debris. The problem with such techniques is that while some professionals can do so, it's very difficult, or impossible, to teach over the Internet.

What makes it worse, is that there are MANY such techniques, and knowing which to use on a specific swamp takes experienced judgement, which is ALSO something I can't teach.

It sounds like you are, generally speaking, doing the right things, and it may just take time. Once I've moved the thread, I'll post links to some other threads that will give you more info.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ How to verify that your sand filter is working.

+ Verify that your filter is working . . . and then do NOT backwash until it's 'full'. If your pressure gauge is working, then you should backwash when there is a 5 - 10 psi INCREASE in pressure from clean to dirty.

+ If there are piles of 'stuff' on the bottom, and you can vacuum that to waste, do so.

+ Foamy water often means . . . you have added pool store goop, which can actually SLOW the process. Clarifier + some stain control agents can be an especially bad combo. Likewise OVERDOSING with clarifiers or 'floc' agents, or COMBINING them can create a chemical mess that is very slow to clear up. Have you added chemicals besides the basics?

thanks. the only goop i added was a bag of walmart shock before my
    husband brought home the 1st 10 gallons of bleach. other than that I used muriatic acid from home depot to bring down the ph at the very beginning...i added the acid 1st after i tested when we took the cover off. i used the trichlor-s-triaz(sp) bag of pool essentials of shock bcuz it was left over & i wanted to get started on clean up.
    thats all.
    im prepared to filter to waste, vacuum, filter...test for days. i will keep reading also. our sand filter generally sits at 8psi. when it raises to about 12 that's when i generally backwash. i have so much to learn.
    im out finishing up my mother’s day lunch. im going to test & start vacuuming the bottom
    again to waste.
    thanks!

+ Reply to Thread