+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Plastering

Default Pool Plastering

I have a 15 year old cement pond that has developed a leak. This would be the third leak in the past 2 years so, I would like to re-plaster the pond. I can't seem to find the Quikrete #1800 pool finish that another member referenced. And, I can't find white Portland cement or white sand. I'm very perplexed and wonder if I can get some advice on the appropriate product to use.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Plastering

upgraded membership and moved thread.

Regarding your questions:

Q: Where can you get special cements and materials for pool plastering?
    A: These go to market in various ways. The BEST way to find out how they are sold in YOUR area is to call the manufacturer, and ask. For example, with respect to Quikrete products, go here: https://www.quikrete.com/contactus/main.asp

But other products like white cement and marble dust are available in a variety of 'brands', mostly to wholesalers. SCP (http://www.scppool.com/) now has a near monopoly on pool wholesale products in the US -- call them.

And, here's the question you SHOULD have asked, but did not:

Q: Will re-plastering a pool fix leaks in the shell?
    A: Usually not. Or rather, a re-plaster job will fix the leaks for ONE season, till the pool goes through the summer-winter-summer expansion-contraction-expansion cycle . . . and re-opens the cracks. The same will happen with ANY non-elastic patch, like epoxy.

Fixing a leaking shell PERMANENTLY is a job for SKILLED professionals . . . which rules out probably 98% of 'handymen' and 90% of pool contractors.

You can fix leaks TEMPORARILY (several years) with products like 3M 06580 Marine Adhesive/Sealant or Kelley Permaseal

These products are difficult to work with; download and READ the guide from Kelley Technical.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.

+ Reply to Thread