+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: eyeball faceplate cracked

Default eyeball faceplate cracked

When shutting down my vinyl liner in ground found cracked face plate for the eyeball. I was blowing out the lines and installing the plug air bubbles were coming out of the crack. Continued to tighten the plug and got it to stop.
    I have read posts that say how to replace the faceplate. Wondering how the feed line attaches to the female thread base. There are three screw holding the plate to the wall. It looks like the female thread base is part of the plate and I'm concerned that this to may be cracked. The pool is over 20 years and The liner has been replaced .I have always done my own maintenance upkeep on the pool. What can I expect to encounter trying to replace it.
    RFE,Ohio 23,000 IG ,DE filter, spa w/cartridge filters

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: eyeball faceplate cracked

Can you post a picture?
    Carl

I will try this morning

I have pictures but can't attach them.I don't have a manage attachments button or can't find it. The posting permissions says I may not post attachments. How do I do post the pictures? Thanks for helping

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Alternatively, you can email the pics to poolforum@gmail.com and reference the URL of this thread. Can't promise you how quickly the pics will be added to the thread but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that Ben will have time soon to be able to do it for you soon!

sent e-mail!

Last edited by PoolDoc; 10-07-2014 at 02:18 PM.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Here's what you have, I think:

You'll need to unscrew the plug, and then replace the face plate.

I really, really hope you used pipe dope, and not some sort of sealant on the plug. As you can see, the plug screws into the body of the SP1408, and not the plate. You can't remove the plate without removing the plug. Also, there's a significant risk of the liner shifting when you remove the plate. If it does, you won't be able to re-install the plate. Consequently, you must NOT drain the pool to do this work: if anything, you need to RAISE the water level, so the liner will be held tightly in place by the water.

Finally. . . the plug you used isn't really intended to make an absolutely water tight seal. It's a vacuum safety fitting, used to plug lines with suction on them, to prevent entrapment. They are common on commercial pools which may have in-wall vacuum ports.

I've replaced two or three of those plates in our pool. I didn't lower the water level and replacement was easy; no liner shift issues.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I don't have enough experience with liner pools to know how likely liner shifting is; I just know that it can happen, and can be a real problem if it does.

Jumpin in here. Is that a touch of algae around the face plate? If so, a toothbrush cleaning may be in order around your others.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread