+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Test Results are in :(((

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Test Results are in :(((

8lbs of pure trichlor will get your CYA to just under 50ppm, 10lbs will bring to just over 60ppm. Be prepared, trichlor will push pH down, pH below 6.8 can damage your pool's surface.

Have you tested your fill water?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Be VERY careful with the power washer and use it on the lowest setting. I've seen mine actually strip the stain and even rip wood off my cedar fencing and decking--you do NOT want to damage your finish! Personally, I'd rather see you brush the pool with a pool brush.

When you refill, Tri-Chlor tabs and Di-Chlor powder WILL add CYA to your water--Di-chlor will add both chlorine and CYA faster than the Tri-chlor tabs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 1 lb of Di-chlor SHOULD give you an initial FC of about 6.6ppm to 10,000 gallons of water. (which means roughly 6ppm of CYA). I'm basing this on Chem_Geek's post that 24.1 oz of Di-Chlor will add 10ppm of FC to 10,000 gallons.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ight=chem_geek
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

PF of a 10k pool is 12.

Available chlorine of dichlor is usually either 61% or 55%. Assuming 61%, 1lb x 0.61 x 12 = 7.3 ppm FC per lb of dichlor in a 10k gal pool.

Dichlor adds about 9 ppm of CYA for every 10 ppm of chlorine, so 7.32 x 0.9 = 6.6 ppm FC

==============

Each pound of 61% dichlor will add 7.3 ppm of chlorine and 6.6 ppm of CYA to a 10K pool

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Pretty much all Dichlor you get in pool stores is the dihydrate that has 55% Available Chlorine (pure Dichlor dihydrate would be 55.4%, but product is usually around 99% pure). The anhydrous form of Dichlor (if pure) has 64.5% Available Chlorine but it's not normally sold because as shown in this post, the anhydrous Dichlor is a Class 3 oxidizer similar to Cal-Hypo at > 50% concentration while the dihydrate is a Class 1 oxidizer similar to Trichlor. So to avoid the additional storage, shipping, and warning requirements associated with a Class 3 oxidizer, the dihydrate form is pretty much the only one sold for pools and spas.

So Carl's calculation is correct that 1 pound of Dichlor (dihydrate) in 10,000 gallons would yield 6.6 ppm FC and 6.0 ppm CYA.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Here is a follow up on the situation,

Bur, first of all many thanks for all the replies I have received. I really appreciate it

I have drained, cleaned and filled the pool. I didn't use the pressure washer cleaned the pool with brush while draining. Also replaced the filter cartridges.

While filling the pool I have added house hold bleach at intervals about 2 - 2.5 cup at a time.
    It took about half a bottle (half of 3.78 qt jug)

Once the pool is full I took a sample and test with my Taylor K2006 kit. Here are the results

FC. 1.2 ppm
    CC O
    PH. 7.8
    TA. 120 ppm
    CH. 110 ppm (Calcium Hardness)
    CYA. 0

My plan is either

1) to use 3 inch tablets until I reach the needed CYA level and then switch to BBB method.
    Also it looks like I need to build CC and lower the ph a little, which I guess the tablets will help with that too

Or

2) I can skip the tablets, buy conditioner to raise the CYA level and continue with Bleach as needed

I'll appreciate your comments/suggestions

Thanks very much

Matt
    11,000 gal inground freshwater concrete pool & SPA, PebbleTec, Clean and Clear+ 3200, 1hp motor, last Drain & Fill 8/10/2014. Trying BBB method.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

1a) You are using BBB - it's not a recipe, just a catchy name for using only the chemicals your pool needs and finding them at reasonable prices.
    1b) If you have the trichlor tabs I recommend you use them up. How much do you have on hand? You won't be able to measure CYA level until you've used about 5lbs (10 3" tabs) so don't waste the reagent. If the trichlor dissolves too slowly to maintain FC, supplement with bleach. Don't pour the bleach on the trichlor. The trichlor will tend to push pH down - keep an eye on that and add Borax if it gets to 7.0.
    1c) You will need calcium to protect the finish. About 20lbs of calcium chloride should get your 11K gallons to 300ppm.

2) If you have the trichlor already, why buy stabilizer (conditioner) and then have to get rid of the trichlor?

Last edited by PoolDoc; 08-23-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: emphasize phrase I will quote . . . Thanks, Dave.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If you DON'T have trichlor, instead why don't you use our Super Simple Start-up Recipe:> http://pool9.net/ssr/

By the way, your CC reading is perfect. Ideally, you want it to be 0.

I do have about 15lbs of trichloroethane left, therefore I'll start with trichlor until I reach the required CYA level.

Keeping an eye on ph, fc and the rest. But will test CYA in 3 to 4 weeks

I'm a little confused about the calcium levels though.my Calcium Hardness is 110 and living in Southern AZ I know we have hard water. Do I still need to add calcium, if yes where do I buy calcium chloride ? Will this be in lieu of trichlor tablets or bleach as it looks like calcium chloride has chlorine in it ?

Thanks very much

Matt
    11,000 gal inground freshwater concrete pool & SPA, PebbleTec, Clean and Clear+ 3200, 1hp motor, last Drain & Fill 8/10/2014. Trying BBB method.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

For your pebbletec pool, like all hard-sided pools, the recommended CH level is 200-400ppm. zif you expect to be adding hard water to your pool, you MAY want to rely on that to get you to 200ppm. You can supplement your chlorine with Cal-Hypo, preferably with a content of at least 60%. it will add calcium as well.

Meanwhile, your CYA is low and your pH is on the high side so your tri-chlor tabs are perfect for lowering pH and adding CYA.

Just be sure you don't mix the two. Dangerous. Once dissolved in the water, they are safe.
    Carl

You and Carl make a good point - How hard is your makeup water and how much do you have to make up weekly? You do want to get the CH above 200 (preferably closer to 300) pretty soon or the water will take calcium out of the surface.

+ Reply to Thread