+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Milky White with yellowing white residue Thank you for your help!

Default Pool Milky White with yellowing white residue Thank you for your help!

Hello, We have an frame Intex pool 14 X 4 ft round and have had it for 3 years. This year was the first time we winterized it and it did well. (We used a non-chlorine winterizing kit ) We have well water (Iron) but only had to fill about 1/3 of the pool with fresh water for this season. When we opened our pool, the pollen in our area was very bad. It began accumulating at a rapid rate in the pool while we were doing start up shock etc. The pool turned cloudy and we couldn't seem to clear it using clarifier, algaecide, and vacuuming the bottom. I used almost a whole bottle of clarifier over several weeks while we were battling this problem. We cleaned the filter constantly but the problem only got worse. We cover our pool when not in use because we have the typical cartridge filter/pump that came with the pool and want to keep pollen and debris to a minimum. Finally we visited our local pool store and had a sample tested. Everything tested fine...except cya was low. This was because I was using Shock N Swim (Calcium Hypo) which has no stabilizer. I have used Shock N Swim for 3 years with no problem. They suggested I use Pool First Aide. I dosed the pool 3 times but it only seemed to be getting worse. However the First Aide did clear up the pollen. Then we noticed tiny blue flecks in the filter cartridge and realized that something was dissolving the pool cover! We promptly removed it and replaced it with another, but we don't let the new one touch the water. All of the blue flecks are gone now but we still have a cloudy pool and it appears to be getting worse. I stopped using Shock N Swim because I read that the calcium could be building up. (I was shocking it every day initially hoping to solve the problem.) I am now using Tri-chlor one inch tabs in floater and in filter cartridge. I regularly use algaecide (abt once a week) but noticed it turn white when it came in contact with the water. (Never seen that before!) So I have discontinued that. I used 20 Mule Team Borax to up the pH, which was stable at 7.2 until we started vacuuming to waste and refilling with well water. It dropped to 6.8. We are now ready to give up! I'm worried that the well water is only making things worse. We are cleaning the filter every couple of hours and we think some or most of the white milky residue is going back into the pool. We cut apart a second cartridge and doubled the cartridge filter paper. It actually helps retain more of the concentrated yellowish white residue which we wash out. The concentrated residue will fall out in the bottom of the pump and I have let a jar of it sit until it accumulates at the bottom, but our pool seems to retain it in solution and not much is accumulating on the bottom. When we let it sit in a jar about 3/4 of an inch of milky/slightly yellowish white residue drops to the bottom. We are still vacuuming to waste but the waste water looks fairly clear even though pool is very cloudy. We are Senior Citizens with limited income, so we can't spend a lot of money on the pool. Our Grandkids are coming in two days to swim and we are desperate to find a solution before then. The pool people said the water was safe but it is looking worse each day, so I am worried it is not. Thank you so much for your help! We use a two way test kit with drops. (I do have test strips and with them the Ta appears too high but all else is in range. Doesn't ever show chlorine) Chlorine is about a 3.0 and pH is 6.8 right now. (Added well water to make up for loss) Pool holds 4,600 gals.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Milky White with yellowing white residue Thank you for your help!

From the registration email:

I need to add a caution: as more and more people use smart phones and tablets, we often find ourselves facing nearly unreadable posts that lack all the normal forms of written English: spelling, punctuation, capitals, and spacing. These posts are laborious for us to read and understand.

We've decided we will place these question at the bottom of the queue, and answer them only after we've responded to questions formatted in a more readable fashion.
    Feel free to repost a more readable version.

Default Re: Pool Milky White with yellowing white residue Thank you for your help!

Hello again, Sorry... I hope this is more readable..

We have a frame Intex pool 14 X 4 ft round and have had it for 3 years. This year was the first time we winterized it and it did well. (We used a non-chlorine winterizing kit ) We have well water (Iron) but only had to fill about 1/3 of the pool with fresh water for this season.

When we opened our pool, the pollen in our area was very bad. It began accumulating at a rapid rate in the pool while we were doing start up shock etc. The pool turned cloudy and we couldn't seem to clear it using clarifier, algaecide, and vacuuming the bottom. I used almost a whole bottle of clarifier over several weeks while we were battling this problem.

We cleaned the filter constantly but the problem only got worse, even though we cover our pool when not in use. We have the typical cartridge filter/pump that came with the pool, which is 1000 GPH Cartridge Filter.

Finally we visited our local pool store and had a sample tested. Everything tested fine...except CYA was low. This was because I was using Shock N Swim (Calcium Hypo) with no stabilizer. I have used Shock N Swim in the pool every summer for 3 years with no problem.

They suggested I use Pool First Aide. I dosed the pool 3 times but we didn't see much improvement. However the First Aide did clear up the pollen.

Then we noticed tiny blue flecks in the filter cartridge and realized that something was dissolving the pool cover! We promptly removed it and replaced it with another, and we now don't let the new one touch the water. All of the blue flecks have been filtered out, but we still have a cloudy pool and it continues to appear to be getting worse.

I stopped using Shock N Swim because I read that the calcium could be building up in the pool. (I was shocking it every day initially hoping to solve the problem.) I am now using Tri-chlor one inch tabs in floater and in the filter cartridge, and have not shocked for over a week.

I regularly use algaecide (abt once a week) but noticed it turn white when it came in contact with the water. (I have never seen that before!) So I have discontinued that. I used 20 Mule Team Borax to raise the pH, which was stable at 7.2 until we started vacuuming to waste and refilling with well water. It dropped to 6.8.

We are now ready to give up! I'm worried that adding the well water is only making things worse. We are cleaning the filter every couple of hours and we think some or most of the white milky residue is going back into the pool.

We cut apart a second cartridge and doubled the cartridge filter paper. It actually helps retain more of the concentrated white residue, which we wash out periodically. The concentrated residue will fall out inside the pump. (I collected some of the water from the pump and about 3/4 of an inch of milky white residue accumulated on the bottom of the jar) Inside our pool, though, not much is accumulating on the bottom. The water just stays cloudy.We are still vacuuming to waste but the waste water looks fairly clear.

We are Senior Citizens with limited income, so we can't spend a lot of money on the pool. Our Grandkids are coming in two days to swim and we are desperate to find a solution before then. The pool people said the water was safe but it is looking worse each day, so I am worried it is not. Thank you so much for your help! We use a two way test kit with drops. (I also have test strips and with them the TA appears too high but all else is in range. The CYA is now abt. 30 with using the Tri-chlor. Chlorine is about a 3.0 and pH is 6.8 right now. (Added well water to make up for loss) Pool holds 4,600 gals.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Add borax till the pH is above 7. Once the pH is between 7 and 8, and the chlorine is above 3 ppm, the pool should be chemically and bacteriologically safe.

2. However, cloudy water is not safe from a swim-safety point of view. If you let them swim, you must NOT let them swim underwater, and an adult must maintain a continuous head count on the swimmers in the water! (That is what life guards do, if they can.)

3. If you have time -- and if the fill water is not too cold -- drain and refill. It takes a LONG time to clear Intex pools, even when you have the right test kit (you don't) and the right filter (Unicel cartridges). If you DO refill, follow the SSR => http://pool9.net/ssr/ The iron may stain things, but is NOT a hazard.

4. Ironically, calcium hypochlorite (Shock N Swim?) helps with iron removal. However, if you don't control calcium levels, you can end up with milky water as you have.

5. If at all possible, purchase a 6-way test kit at a nearby Walmart. Use this link to check stock: www.walmart.com/ip/17043668/

6. It's more likely that your cover deteriorate from sunlight, than from pool chemicals. *IF* pool chemicals are the problem, the cover will ALSO be bleached white on the side next to the pool.

Thank you so much for all this detailed information! We added the borax and pool is 7.2. Chlorine is slightly above 3 ppm. There is not time to drain and refill. The boys arrive tomorrow morning.

We never leave them alone in the pool. The two older ones (11 and 10) do like to go underwater to retrieve pool toys. We will make "No Underwater!" the rule. They wouldn't be able to see underwater anyway! I am usually in the pool with the boys and my husband and I take turns watching them. The two younger ones (6 and 3) both wear life jackets and I am always in the water with them when they are in the pool. I'm so glad to know the pool is safe even though it is cloudy!

After the boys leave we will see about draining and refilling. I looked at your link and will follow your guidelines! I tried to get the 6 way test kit today but our Walmart was out of stock. I'll check the nearest Super Walmart via your link.

Glad also to know that the pool cover damage was not from the chemicals. There was no bleached white residue on the underside. It was our winter cover and it was not a very expensive one.

One question...should I do anything about the iron well water when I refill the pool? Or will adjusting the pH be sufficient?

I plan on ordering the Unicel Cartridges from Amazon as soon as possible, and will try to get the chemicals you recommended via the link you shared. I will get the di-chlor asap, since I am afraid to put any more Shock N Swim (Calcium hypochlorite) in the pool. I will also order the Polyquat Algaecide if I can. Thank you again for all! You have been a great help! I will be using this forum and site for all my pool questions and concerns!

As I mentioned, using the cal hypo can make things easier with the iron.

Do this:

1. Enjoy this weekend / weekend.

2. If you can't find the 6-way, and if it won't blow your budget, get the K2006 kit => http://pool9.net/ssr/

3. Once you have more time, do the metals bucket test on your FILL water => http://pool9.net/bucket-metal/

4. If you can, order and install a skimmer kit for your pool. Make sure it will work with your pump:
    Intex deluxe skimmer parts and info
    Intex Deluxe Wall-Mounted Skimmer
    Having the skimmer will help with cal hypo use to remove iron.

+ Reply to Thread