+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bleach evaporating quickly before dichlor arrives

Default Bleach evaporating quickly before dichlor arrives

Folks -

I am not putting in any dichlor until this weekend. I have about 72 hours until that time.

In the AM, everything is just peachy on my pool.. my pH gradually drops... but my chlorine completely drops off no matter how much bleach I put in (I put in 5 yesterday). It has been about 100 degrees and sunny outside.

Do you think it is ok that when I check in the AM, as long as chlorine is a bit on the high side from night usage (i.e. 4-5), that I can go ahead and not worry about it during the day? If I should worry - how much should I add? Even when I do add, it really doesn't register an hour or 2 later.

For the record - I have a 12 x 30 intex.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Strategy: Bleach evaporating quickly before dichlor arrives

Are you following the Super Simple Recipe? Check the chlorine level before each swim session and add chlorine as needed. Check and adjust again every hour or so during extended swim sessions. Add a dose of bleach when the swim session is over.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's perfectly normal for a pool to lose all chlorine in a brief time, when there's no chlorine stabilizer (CYA) in the water. And, until you begin using the dichlor, there will not be any stabilizer. As long as your water is clear, there's no need to 'over-dose' -- by doing so you risk bleaching your liner. The effect of chlorine on liners is MUCH greater when no stabilizer is in the water.

Just make sure you treat it in the evening, rather than in the morning. That way, it will be able to 'work' all night, before the sun hits it. Also, add a single dose just before each use.

Thanks PoolDoc. I am following the Super Simple Recipe which is extremely helpful. I look forward to getting my dichlor on Sunday. My water is pretty clear... I took a dip and opened my eyes and it did look a little foggy... but when I'm looking into the pool when I'm just sitting in it, it looks clear as can be. I think I'm good to go... I add the bleach at night and when I wake I'm still at 5PPM.... and then once the sun hits, it is eliminated quickly.

I'll just keep following the recipe and adding bleach at night (and borax as necessary)... and if the pool starts to look slightly funky, I'll figure that out... but I think I'm good.
    1.8k gal 12 x 30 Intex

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Great!

+ Reply to Thread