+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12 x 30 pool - Super Easy questions

Default 12 x 30 pool - Super Easy questions

I just installed the 12' x 30" Intex pool and I have been reading this forum like crazy (and using google since I am yet unable to search here). Yes, I have read the super-simple instructions - and they are really helpful for once I get all my chemicals (this weekend). Unfortunately, like many, I am stuck until then.

The directions say things like "add bleach every 8 hours until full"... my pool took about 4 hours to fill completely. So last night while filling, I put in the dosage that it said and even added about 50% more bleach because it was a quick fill up.

But I dont see in the directions what I am supposed to do on a daily basis until I get the chemicals - I know, there are a lot of variations... but maybe I am missing it! I probably am.

Here are the readings I got using the Walmart 6 way test.

Last night after full:
    TA: 30
    pH: 8.2+
    chlorine: 3.0

This AM:
    pH: 7.5
    chlorine: hardly picking up.

I added one cup of bleach and ran pump for 2 hours...

Now, at 12:30 (about 2.5 hours after adding the bleach, my readings are as follows:
    TA: 3
    hardness: 2 (check just 'cause)
    pH: 7.2 (maybe slightly higher)
    chl: still hardly picking up

I now added 2 cups of bleach and 1/2 cup borax. Just for condition purposes, it is about 100 degrees with full sun all day - so I know the bleach will go pretty quick.

Anyway - any suggestions until I get my setup would be AWESOME (btw - the bleach I am using is the more concentrated stuff.. 8.25%).

THANKS!

Default Re: 12 x 30 pool - Super Easy questions

For the record - my pH is now 8.2 (how can I tell if it is higher) and Chlorine is 3. I expect the Chlorine to continuously drop as it is hot (although it is covered right now).

Two questions.. (1) is it a problem to swim with the pH at this level? Although I added borax earlier, it had naturally been falling (I think due to the low alkalinity). If it doesn't go low in a day or two, I'll add MA. (2) still need thoughts on what I should do regarding the amount of bleach each day.

Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Sorry you haven't gotten a reply. We have been swamped with new members! Can you post current numbers since yours are a couple days old? What all have you added to the pool?

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Lower the pH below 8.2 before you swim.

The problem with pH levels outside the kit range is that they don't mean that your pH is those numbers; they mean your pH is that number OR higher/lower. In other words, a pH result of 8.2 could mean your pH is really 8.2 OR 10.0!

. . . membership updated.

(WaterMom is right. Normally registrations drop off a lot after July 4th, and we focus on existing members. That hasn't happened. I have no idea why.)

The good news is I started adding dichlor last evening. pH has become more stubborn (before I got the dichlor, actually)... it wants to hover around 7.0. So not terrible -and I think I am going to conquer that.

Anyway - my real issue is that the dichlor seemed to bleach the bottom of the liner where I dropped it in last night. I wasnt running the pump. SO I am probably a dummy all together. Should I be mixxing it with a bucket first - or just spreading it evenly as much as I can?

Thanks!
    1.8k gal 12 x 30 Intex

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sorry about that - yours is the first report I recall of an Intex pool bleaching -- doesn't mean it hasn't happened before, but I don't recall it. I was hoping that those pools had chlorine resistant dyes on the liners.

Yes, though: get a clean bucket or garbage paile, scoop out a few gallons of pool water, add the dichlor, and then pour it back in.

But, it's ALWAYS better to have the pump running during, and for at least an hour after, chemical additions.

Thanks... Appreciate the tip. I have a small hole in my liner that is def not a result of the dichlor... Intex isn't greatest company on returns. But amazon is- so I'll have a new one early next week and time to start from scratch.

In the mean time, I've patched it.

Somethingn tells me this may be never ending. Haha
    1.8k gal 12 x 30 Intex

A 12 x 30 is pretty much a starter pool. If you like it, and learn to use it, you (and your family) will probably enjoy a bigger one next year. The very small pools are actually harder to do well than the ones with 5,000 gallons or more. But, if you make a mistake with a 1 - 2K gallon pool it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to dump and start over.

I too have had sections of the bottom of my pool get bleached by dichlor. Will start with the bucket tonight so the bottom doesn't get any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep739 View Post
    The good news is I started adding dichlor last evening. pH has become more stubborn (before I got the dichlor, actually)... it wants to hover around 7.0. So not terrible -and I think I am going to conquer that.

Anyway - my real issue is that the dichlor seemed to bleach the bottom of the liner where I dropped it in last night. I wasnt running the pump. SO I am probably a dummy all together. Should I be mixxing it with a bucket first - or just spreading it evenly as much as I can?

Thanks!
    10 x 30 Intex pool

OK. I'll add 'mix before using' notes to the SSR.

@gabrieldaigle: Do you know how much you added at one time? Was your pump running at the time?

+ Reply to Thread