+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pool

Default New Pool

Hello everyone, I need some advise please. We purchased an Intex 16x48 above ground pool Saturday. We started filling it Saturday night and Sunday morning it was full and the water was already green. It was a clear green where we could see the bottom but a heavy green tint. I got the chlorine to shock level and ran the pump. Monday, no change and the chlorine was still at 10. I tested the water and it said the PH was low and the hardness was low. On Monday I corrected all of that and the chlorine was still at 10..and the water was still green. I got frustrated and turned the pump off and decided to just leave it alone until Tuesday when I wasn't so annoyed. Tuesday morning the water was almost clear and the bottom of the pool was covered with a rust colored powder. It's not stained. I looked at the filter and it was completely covered in the rust colored stuff. Its not slippery or gooey so I was thinking it's not algae. Anyway, I had to drain the pool to about 1/3 filled because one of the legs was a little crooked. I haven't filled it back up because its raining and I want the ground to dry so it doesn't sink into the mud with the weight of the water. Does anyone have an idea about the rust colored powder? The vacuum doesn't catch it so when I run it the water just gets cloudy and eventually settles back to the bottom. I was considering putting a sock on it so it would catch some smaller things. Could this be metal in the water? I have city water and not well water. I purchased some metal out to throw in there once I get it filled up. At a loss as to what is going on because all of my levels were right.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New Pool

Sorry you didn't get a reply. We have been swamped with new members. It definitely does sound like a pool with iron in it. Reply back and let us know if you still need help and I'll ask PoolDoc to step in here. He is best at dealing with metals issues.

It's ok. I have finally gotten it cleared up. I saw a tip on another site about filling a tube sock with paper towels and placing it over the intake. It took several rolls and is still not completely clear but it is working. I ran the pump 24 hours a day and changed the paper towels every 2 hours for the first 2 days and now I am running it for 2-3 hours a day. I was shocked when I first saw the yellow paper towels!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Over the intake or the return jet? Glad it is working. That is the important thing! Keep us posted on your progress and again, sorry we didn't get to you promptly. We are happy to have you join us, though!

Sorry, I put just a paper towel over the intake and the sock over the return. That's what happens when I type early in the morning lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mdthomp View Post
    That's what happens when I type early in the morning lol.
    I understand that! But, in my case, it doesn't even have to be in the morning! Some days, the forum is SO busy and I end up answering so many posts that sometimes I look at what I have written and think to myself, "what on earth did I just write!"

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OP - You should consider getting a sand filter, it has done wonders for our intex type pool in just a week!
    20' Summer Escapes / Pro Series AG pool

+ Reply to Thread