+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brown Stain on Stairs and Liner

Default Brown Stain on Stairs and Liner

A few days ago, we started developing a brown stain on our vinyl stairs. We were able to clean somewhat with Mr. Clean Eraser but now stain has come back to cover stairs and has migrated to liner. A Vitamin C tablet has virtually no effect. I left a chlorine puck sitting directly on the steps overnight and can see the ring where the puck was sitting, leading me to believe it's an organic of some kind.

I have a picture I can send but it says I cannot post attachments.

Any ideas of what it may be or how to clean would be appreciated.

Inground pool - 16x36, Jandy Aquapure salt generator, Jacuzzi cartridge filter, Pentair Superflow pump, Hayward heat pump

Free Chlorine - 1.2
    pH - 7.2
    Alkalinity - 90
    TDS - 4,200

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Brown Stain on Stairs and Liner

1. Link to pictures hosted on Picasa, Google+, Google Drive, Flickr, Photobucket, etc using the image button

2. Put a pile of Vit C tabs on the steps, and see if there's an effect.

3. Was the 'stain' removed by the trichlor tab?

4. Does the 'stain' brush away?

5. What is your CYA (stabilizer) level?

6. Does pouring an entire bottle of 8% bleach on the steps remove the 'stain'?

Sorry it's taken a while to get back on this. We were on vacation and had a family issue.

1. I'll link to picture. https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0&usp=gmail#my-drive
    2. Seems to be slight softening if we use vitamin c tablets but it doesn't just disappear.
    3. Not directly removed by trichlor tab. I'm not sure if everything around the tab got darker and the covered spot stayed the same but that's what it looks like.
    4. Some gets brushed away but some stays and won't come off.
    5. CYA 45
    6. Didn't use bleach. I used 5 lbs of trichlor shock.
    16x36 IG pool, Jandy Aquapure salt generator, Jacuzzi cartridge filter, Pentair Superflow pump, Hayward heat pump.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Email the picture to me -- poolforum@gmail.com and include the thread number (25292) -- your link isn't an external link.

+ Try piling some Vitamin C tablets on the spot, and then put a glass on top of them, and leave them overnight.

+ Buy a small bottle of Iron Out, and cover several tablespoons of that with another glass overnight.

Posting info from email exchange:

Test results - 7/28/2014:
    FC:1.9; CC: 0.3; pH:7.6; TA:140; CH:100; CYA: 42; Salt:3; PO4:200.
    Water color:blue; clarity:Clear; odor:No odor; algae:No algae; feel:soft, maybe soapy
    Actions:Vacuumed pool, Added chemicals "20 oz. Knock Out Algaecide; 5 lbs. Chlor-Guard Granules"

Equipment:
    21k gal 16x36 vinyl rectangle with both solar and safety covers; 3' - 8' depth; Jandy AquaPure SWCG; Jacuzzi 200 filter; Pentair 3/4 HP single speed pump running 24/7; Heat pump and fountain or waterfall.
    Pool is in Pittsburgh, PA area. Using Morton pool salt from Walmart.

Pictures:

Steps:

Pool cleaner bag, after 24 hours of use.

Has tried both ascorbic acid and trichlor tabs, without noticeable effect.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

@PoolDoc: Are those enhanced images or directly from the camera?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Direct.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Wow. Looks kinda like iodine antiseptic or rust on an old car.

+ Reply to Thread