+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intex pool newbie question

Default Intex pool newbie question

Just registered and am following the 7 day start-up instructions on my Intex Pro Series frame pool. How often am I supposed to run the filter?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Intex pool newbie question

Are you talking about the Super Simple Recipe, here? (http://pool9.net/ssr/

Anyhow, you probably need to run the filters 8 hours per day. If you use the pool very little, and if the water is staying clear, you can run it less. If you are having problems, you should run the filter 24/7.

Getting the Unicel cartridges will help you reduce run time to a minimum. The Filbur cartridges should probably do so as well, but we've been getting mixed reports -- possibly because some of the retailers are selling Filburs, but shipping Chinese cartridges; we're really not sure.

Also, getting this timer will help you manage the pool more effectively:
    Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Outdoor Timer 15 Amp

Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered the recommended Kem-Tec from Amazon and hoping to have better luck this time around. Last time I set up one of these pools, it seemed like I was fighting algae from the very beginning. Glad I found this forum and some great info.

Got my bleach, borax and 6 in 1 test kit at the Walmart, and the dichlor should be here Wednesday.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Great!

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Are you filling with municipal water or a well? Have you ordered the Unicel cartridges (2 or 3)? I can tell you from experience that the Intex cartridges WILL let lots of fine "stuff" right through and will let your water go cloudy if you try to clean and reuse.

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Municipal water source. Haven't bought replacement filters yet.

Water test this afternoon:

Cl - .5 (was 5 this morning)
    Br - 1 (was 10 this morning)
    Ph - 8.2 (a little concerned about this one, same as this morning)
    CA - 0
    tot. alk - 600
    Hardness - 60

Questions I have now:

When can I get the kids in the pool?
    And what numbers should I be trying to keep it at?
    And how many doses of bleach should I put in tonight?

14' X 35" Intex frame pool. Est. 3750 gal.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 07-06-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    3.3k gal 14' X 36" Intex frame pool. PF=36

Quote Originally Posted by schultzy View Post
    Municipal water source.
    2x [Cl - .5 (was 5 this morning)] = Br - 1 (was 10 this morning) (Same test; 2 scales)
    Ph - 8.2 (you're going to be seeing this a lot!)
    CA - 0 (= CYA or stabilizer; needs to be above 20)
    tot. alk - 600 (Ka-wow! Ok, you got work to do!)
    Hardness - 60 (no problem)
    => Test the TA and CH on your *fill* water. I'm guessing you're going to have to learn to manage high TA fill water.
    => Are you using dichlor to chlorinate? That will add the stabilizer you need; use dichlor instead of bleach OR buy

=> Your kids can swim, so long as there's chlorine in the pool. I'd recommend adding a cup of bleach OR 3 tablespoons of dichlor BEFORE and AFTER each swim period. Your pool volume can't store enough chlorine to handle a 'dose of kids' for several hours, without replenishing it.

=> Your TA is very, VERY high. You are going to have to go off the Super Simple Recipe and actively manage your pH and alkalinity. Buy a gallon of 31% muriatic acid, and READ the muriatic acid page: http://pool9.net/ma/ Then, read the alkalinity page: http://pool9.net/alk-step/

You'll need to experiment, but I think a 1 cup dose of muriatic will be about right. Try that, and see what your pH is after adding it. Once you've worked out a dosage, practice maintaining your pH around 7.2. Because of aeration, it will jump back up within a few minutes after 2 - 3 kits start splashing around in it. That's OK; just add another dose of acid the next day.

Please note: the required dose will DROP, as your TA drops. Eventually, you may be adding 1/4 cup doses. But you'll probably go through a gallon or two of muriatic first. DO wear gloves and glasses to add it. DO keep the jug close to, or even IN the water, as you measure out the dose. Doing so avoids fumes and splashing.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I was afraid you were going to tell me that I was going to have to use the muriatic acid. There's a Lowe's near where I work, so I can pick some of that up tomorrow and some gloves.

Dichlor is on the way, right now all I have is bleach to work with. I'm guessing I should dose with bleach tonight so there will be chlorine in the pool, tomorrow morning? As well as dosing before they swim and after.

P.S. - Thanks for the signature!

Yep. Always keep chlorine in the pool. (In warm weather, pools without chlorine can become ponds almost instantly!)

Dosed with muriatic acid last night. TA is down to 380. I tried to put a cup in, but may have underestimated. I'll dose again tonight and see where we end up Wednesday morning. Ph is still 8.2+ of course.

+ Reply to Thread