+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy Intex pool

Question Cloudy Intex pool

I have had my pool up for over a month. First 3 weeks, it was clear and good. I kept chlorine tabs in floater (3) and put 1/3 bag of shock in it once a week. Then last week, chlorine tabs got left out for 2 days, pool got green. I put 2 whole bags of shock in it, took care of algae green. But it is still cloudy. Can't see bottom...

I put a test strip in as well as a 2 way water tester kit. These are my levels:

TH - 100 FC 0/0 PH 7.5-7.8 TA 180 CYA 30-50

I know the FC is too low. Seems like it never registers above .5 And I read about the CYA being a sunblock so to speak. But my CYA level is good. I have a gallon of bleach sitting waiting to poura dose in. But seeing how I put another whole bag of shock in it on Sunday, and it didn't take care of the cloudiness, wanted a bit more direction first.

PS. We have had rain a couple of different days this week/weekend. Oh, and I have switched out the filter every day since Saturday (so, 5 days) and I left pump on overnight yesterday, but on average it is on 4-6 hours a day.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Cloudy Intex pool

1. Read the SSR => http://pool9.net/ssr/ You can't use it exactly, now. But it will give you a LOT of relevant info.

2. Test strips = guess-strips, especially with respect to CYA.

3. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red drops test kit and (6) gallons of PLAIN 8% store brand (Walmart?) bleach. Add 1 gallon per 10K gallons of water in your pool. Add it late in the evening.

4. Test in the morning early. You SHOULD get a DARK yellow (off-scale) result. If so, your pool water is in fairly good shape. If not, you need to keep adding bleach EACH evening until you DO have a HIGH early AM reading.

5. Test that evening. If it was DARK yellow in the AM but light yellow or clear in the PM . . . your actual CYA level is near 0. Get a real testkit => http://pool9.net/tk/

. . . membership upgraded - welcome!

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: Cloudy Intex pool

If you have the cartridge filter, go ahead and order 2 or 3 of the GOOD cartridges referenced here.
    http://pool9.net/ssr/
    Be sure to read how to clean them too.
    The Intex cartridges let LOTS of "stuff" go right through.

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

+ Reply to Thread