+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help Sizing and Selecting Natural Gas Heater for AGP

Default Re: Help Sizing and Selecting Natural Gas Heater for AGP

@BigDave: I'm not really sure. I guess a combination of both. When the kids are home from school, I'll probably set it to stay at 75 or so and leave it on 24/7 for a few weeks at least. If we get busy doing other things, then maybe I'd just turn it on the night before a swim day. It will depend on how much it ends up costing to heat.
    Sharkline Escalade RTR 24' x 54" Round AGP; OptiFlo 2-speed pump; Pentair PLM-100 Cartridge Filter; Hayward 250FDN Heater; Taylor K-2006; AquaIlluminator Return

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The consensus we've sort of reached here is that the Hayward Universal series is preferable, for several reasons:
    + It seems to be pretty reliable
    + It's salt-compatible at no extra expense
    + It's powered draft, which means it's not affected by wind and is a bit more efficient.
    + It's very compact

The positive consensus was not very strong; the strong agreement was that you should NOT get a StaRite heater.

If you go through the Amazon reviews on heaters, a number of the negative reviews result from people not getting the sizing right, or not understanding the venting and gas supply requirements. That's not a buyer error, that has nothing to do with Hayward (or any other maker), other than suggesting that they might want to do more to educate consumers.

I've installed a number of these, and they have performed well. I will caution that salt-compatible is not salt-proof on the Hayward or any other heater. It's hard to get a metal with good conductivity (for heat exchange) and good corrosion resistance. High levels of salt WILL accelerate corrosion on these heaters, too. I had to replace a 4 year old continuous duty (365 days/year) heater just this spring. Because it is on a heavily used outdoor kiddie pool that leaks, salt levels are erratic and often high.

There is complaint that I've seen several times: sometimes when these heaters are installed outdoors, water leaks through the panel and into the controls, resulting in pricey repairs. The heaters I've installed are indoors, but if I installed one outdoors, I'd cut a piece of stainless or galvanized sheet to lay over the front edge of the heater and protect the panel.

The Hayward Universal models are all marketed for in-ground pools, but the 150 or 250 will work just as well on most AG pools.

Natural gas models:

In regards to this question "What factors contribute towards reliability in your opinion?" I would say the manufacture actually making the heater we have dealt with all of the major heater manufactures and we have had very little warranty issues with Raypak and Hayward. I tend to like Raypak a little more as that is all they do is pool heaters and nothing else so they are very focused on this product line.

As far as specific features for reliability you may consider a Cupro Nickel heat exchanger. The main component of a gas heater and by far the most expensive part if it needs to be replaced is the heat exchanger. Most heaters come standard with a copper heat exchanger however you can typically upgrade for a few hundred dollars more to a Cupro Nickel heat exchanger which is a heavy duty heat exchanger which holds up better against your pools chemically treated water, this is a good option if you have a salt pool as well.
    Inyopools

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The cupro-nickel exchanger refers to is standard on the Hayward Universal models; on other makes of heater, it's an upgrade or a different model.

Doc & Pat: Very helpful information. I am leaning towards the Hayward 250k based on price, availability, reviews, and CuNi. I am a little concerned about the water infiltration issues, but I guess I can fabricate something.

Do you recommend draining the heater when not in use?
    Sharkline Escalade RTR 24' x 54" Round AGP; OptiFlo 2-speed pump; Pentair PLM-100 Cartridge Filter; Hayward 250FDN Heater; Taylor K-2006; AquaIlluminator Return

Yes, it's best to be drained.

I'd check the manual carefully, to make sure you have FULLY winterized it, and that there's not some pocket of water left somewhere that can cause problems.

I was thinking the other day about the infiltration of the panel. One possible good solution would be to get section of SS piano hinge and a small piece of SS sheet metal, and make a lift up panel that would simply lay across the top of the heater and extend out far enough to protect the panel. You couldn't use plastic lest it metal at some point when the top of the heater got to warm.

+ Reply to Thread