+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool got cloudy after adding pH UP

Hybrid View

Default pool got cloudy after adding pH UP

Hello and thank you for reading this.
    Yesterday my pool was crystal clear. I checked the water and I was low on pH (7 - 7.2) as well as low on chlorine.
    Before adding any chlorine I wanted to get my pH just right. I added just under the recommend amount directly into the skimmer.
    An hour later my pool was cloudy and still is.

Any ideas?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: pool got cloudy after adding pH UP

Some questions for you:

--Do you have a drops-based test kit? Can you post some current water testing results?
    --How much pH UP did you add?
    --What kind of pool is this and what is the volume?
    --What size of pump do you have?
    --What kind and size of filter do you have?
    --Exactly what all have you added to the pool -- meaning ingredients and not just product names like 'shock.'

Re-post with the requested info and someone here will try and help you.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Almost certainly, you have high-ish calcium and ended up precipitating calcium carbonate particles. So . . .

1. Use borax to raise your pH, and avoid the problem.
    2. Get a K2006 so you can manage your pH/alkalinity/calcium levels properly. http://pool9.net/tk/
    3. If your calcium is high because someone told you to add calcium, but you have an FG or vinyl pool, STOP adding calcium. There's no need for it. http://pool9.net/calcium/

. . . membership updated.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Almost certainly, you have high-ish calcium and ended up precipitating calcium carbonate particles. So . . .

1. Use borax to raise your pH, and avoid the problem.
    2. Get a K2006 so you can manage your pH/alkalinity/calcium levels properly. http://pool9.net/tk/
    3. If your calcium is high because someone told you to add calcium, but you have an FG or vinyl pool, STOP adding calcium. There's no need for it. http://pool9.net/calcium/

. . . membership updated.
    Thanks for updating!

1. Will do! Thanks for the tip. Are their guidelines on how much Borax to add? Is adding Borax to a hot tub OK as well? I just add backing soda to my hot tub until the pH is about right.
    2. I live in Canada, so I have to use Amazon.ca, and those products are not available through that vendor... Too bad.
    3. I have never added calcium to our water, but we do have high calcium (hard water with lots of iron).

I forgot to add:

So now that we believe it's a high calcium content: what can I do about it?

I was thinking about adding the clarifier to the filter like they recommend in the instructions (30mL to 50mL / 10,000 Litres). Says "may be added directly to the skimmer in the evening. The pool filter should be backwashed the next morning".

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Start off with 1/2 box per 10k gallons (~40k L) for large pH changes (7.0 => 7.6); 1/4 box for small (7.0 => 7.2)

+ Check the page again; I believe I link to a French Canadian site that is selling them.

+ Don't worry about the calcium, till you have the kit. In any case, it won't be an issue if (a) you don't have a heater and (b) you don't add any more.

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    + Start off with 1/2 box per 10k gallons (~40k L) for large pH changes (7.0 => 7.6); 1/4 box for small (7.0 => 7.2)

+ Check the page again; I believe I link to a French Canadian site that is selling them.

+ Don't worry about the calcium, till you have the kit. In any case, it won't be an issue if (a) you don't have a heater and (b) you don't add any more.
    Well, I don't have a pool heater, but I may get one. If I do, I'll make sure to do proper water treatment.

How do I get rid of the cloudiness, though? By filtration? Or is there a chemical approach (other than flocking)?

+ Reply to Thread