+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taking over an inherited GREEN Pool

Default Taking over an inherited GREEN Pool

I inherited an Intex pool from my mother. It has been drained and re-filled, thanks to some confusion about who was taking it.

It is VERY green.

I have tested it with 6-way AquaChem test strips, everything came back very low. I've done some research and bought baking soda, borax, and powdered shock.

I added 2 cups of borax to it about three hours ago, and I'm hoping to re-test the water in about an hour.

Where should I go from here?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Taking over an inherited GREEN Pool

Test strips are pretty worthless. Get a drops-based kit. The test kit that we think is by far the best is the Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). Not available locally but you can get it through this link that takes you to Amazon: http://pool9.net/tk/

But, in the meantime, go to Walmart and see if they have the HTH 6-Way drops-based kit (no test strips!) and get that. If they don't, get an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) instead. Use it to test and then post your numbers. Also while you are at WallyWorld, get several jugs of their generic 8.25% bleach and a couple of boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle).

What are the ingredients of the powdered shock? If you haven't opened it yet, don't until you let us see what it is.
    What is the size of the pool?
    What is the source of your fill water --- a well or city water? How long ago was it filled? Why did it turn green if it was just refilled?

Repost with requested info and then someone here can try and help you.

(Until you registration is completed, you won't be able to see the rest of the forum while you are logged in. So, copy that link and then paste it into a browser window after you log out.)

Sorry I didn't post more info. I wasn't sure when I gave the info at signup where it was going to go.

What are the ingredients of the powdered shock?
    Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione and inactive ingredients

What is the size of the pool?
    4,400 gallons (4 x 15 ft.)

What is the source of your fill water --- a well or city water?
    city water

How long ago was it filled? Why did it turn green if it was just refilled?
    Last winter, when it got too cold to use the pool, my mom apparently just left it there, filled, uncovered, and probably untreated. Then, she died unexpectedly in January. Nobody really knew what to do to take care of the pool, and there wasn't much incentive to since it was too cold to swim.

A few weeks ago, my sister came by and emptied the pool, thinking she was going to take it to her house. But a relative offered to buy her a new pool instead. So, we refilled the pool.

By the way, according to the test strips, the pH is now correct.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If it's green now, and just 4,000 gallons, it's probably best to make sure you have the stuff to follow the Super Simple Recipe, and then when you do, drain and refill it. The small filters on Intex pools mean that the pool will stay cloudy for weeks even after the algae is all dead.

SS Recipe here => http://pool9.net/ssr/

. . . membership upgraded.

+ Reply to Thread