+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dual pool filters Sand then cartridge

Default dual pool filters Sand then cartridge

I was wondering if I could continue using my sand filter but add a cartridge filter after it to better the filtration rate. I have a 30000 pool with a 1 hp hayward super 2 pump and a hayward s244t 300 lb sand filter. I've always had issues keep the pool clear here in Phoenix when it hits 110 even when the sand was new. I'm looking at hayward large 8 cartridge filter system. And I figured by leaving the sand filter it would keep the cartridges cleaner since sand is easy to backwash. Does anyone see any problems coming from this?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: dual pool filters Sand then cartridge

You won't improve filtration that way; you'll just create a real service PITA.

Instead, buy a bag of labeled pool filter stand (NOT: Quickrete!). Open your filter and make sure that (a) it's full and (b) that the filter sand compares with the sand you bought. If the sand grains are bigger than the filter sand, or rounded, replace the top 12" of sand in the filter.

THEN, order a K2006 testkit AND a bottle of GLB clarifier. Use the kit to make sure that you are managing your pool chemistry correctly and the clarifier to boost filtration a bit:
    + testkits: http://pool9.net/tk/
    + GLB Clarifier

If you want REALLY clear water, purchase THIS filter:
    Hayward DE6020 Pro-Grid 60-Square-Foot Vertical D.E. Pool Filter
    Hayward SP0715XR50 Pro Series Vari-Flo Control Valve
    and either REPLACE your sand filter OR install this one in parallel, so you can use one or the other.

. . . membership updated.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: dual pool filters Sand then cartridge

PS: Even with DE, you still need the testkit: even a DE filter can not make up for poor water chemistry!

+ Reply to Thread