+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pool Wed Electric Help

Default New Pool Wed Electric Help

Hello, I am having a 24' pool installed Wednesday and I'm supposed to have electric ran to a pad for my installer and I'm clueless on what is required. I planed on having GFCI breakers for the two (one for filter and one for heater) at the electrical panel and then running underground no more than 50' max because they have to have their own dedicated breakers. My problem(s) are:

1) In the instructions there are two different motor types for 1-1/2 hp motors would is specify this on the motor so I can determine what amp breaker 15 or 20?

2) The heat pump I'm confused, does it have to have GFCI if not great. Also, should I run a 25 amp or 30 amp breaker @ 10/3 UF-B?

Pentair Sand Dollar 22" Sand Filter with 1-1/2 hp Dynamo Pump:
    http://www.royalswimmingpools.com/Me...llarmanual.pdf

Aqua Pro 500 Heat Pump:
    http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/...uaprospecs.pdf

Thanks!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: New Pool Wed Electric Help

I looked at the links and I know what you need, but I'm not going to answer your question for fear that you may try to do it yourself. Pool electrical install is more complicated than a regular household circuit. The consequences for error are severe. The fact that you say you are clueless says it all.

Please find and hire a licensed electrician with pool experience.

I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but, I don't want you or your family hurt.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership updated.

Dave is right, you should have an electrician make the installation.

So far as breaker size -- install the largest breaker appropriate for the wire size and run length. I believe with a 50' run you can install a 30A breaker with #10 wire, and a 20A breaker with #12.

Let me caution you again: if you don't get the wiring and bonding right, you may KILL someone. Wet, barefoot people eventually touch electrical things around a pool: make it fool-proof safe, or kill somebody: your choice.

And a second caution: years, and years ago, I was indirectly responsible for nearly killing a lifeguard, because I assumed that GFCI breakers and receptacles 'failed safe' -- that is, that when they failed, they failed OFF. That is not necessarily correct. My setup met codes (at the time), but failed DANGEROUS and a guard got a severe shock as a result. (Yes, he was doing something stupid, but sooner or later, someone around YOUR pool will also do something stupid.) Do NOT depend on a GFCI as your only safety: bond and ground as well!

. . . membership upgraded.

I had the installers finish electrical he is also a licensed election. Thanks

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Good to hear. Thanks for circling back.

Enjoy your new pool.

Have you read about the pool care method we teach here? It's safe, effective and efficient. Save yourself a world of trouble and start with BBB. Read the stickies on the forums here and the guides on poolsolutions.com and you'll have the cleanest pool around.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

No problem.... I have 4 children I want it done right also and want nobody hurt.... For what its worth he was doing what I was going to do

+ Reply to Thread