+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Start up new Intex pool but skipped Borax, add back?

Default Start up new Intex pool but skipped Borax, add back?

Hi all, I just set up the Intex Heavy Duty 18' x 9' x 52" above-ground pool from Costco. I put two doses of bleach in the first day, ran the filter, dosed once again the next, never getting the Borax from the local Target (I have two boxes now though). Only got to swim in it once before we left town for 5 days so I threw in four doses of dichlor (from Amazon) and double dose of polyquat. Now the pH is high (8.4) and the chlorine is 5ppm (vinyl cover on).

So I'm wondering if I should add some doses of Borax in to make up for the ones I missed while filling up the pool, or should I just calculate how much acid I need to get the pH back to normal? That, and my wife is supposed to be taking over the chemical maintenance so I could use a good reference on the chemical process (after she reads the Super Simple recipe).

Thanks a lot!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Start up new Intex pool but skipped Borax, add back?

You don't need more Borax right now. If you continue with the dichlor, the pH will come down since it is pretty acidic. But, if it doesn't in a day or so, use some muriatic acid to lower it. Please read this link: http://pool9.net/muriatic/

(Until your registration is completed, you'll have to log out first to see the rest of the forum. So, copy that link and then paste it in a browser window after you log out.)

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

By the way --- what test kit are you using to test with?

Right now I've got a cheap Home Depot 5-way. I've got the Taylor K2006 sitting right next to it, but haven't used it yet (or know what it's for). Is there any reason to not swim if the chlorine is too high?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

These video demos might help you learn to use the kit.
    http://pool9.net/K2006-vid/
    http://pool9.net/tk-interfere/

If you are getting a reading of 5 on your test kit, then it could be 5 or any number over 5 since that is the highest number on the scale. Check this link. It shows colors of higher readings than your OTO kit can read. http://pool9.net/oto-chart/

Based on that chart, what would you say that your chlorine reading is?

Actually, I hadn't checked my chlorine in two days and when I checked it today it was 3.0. I think this means I can end "vacation mode" and resume nightly doses of dichlor and follow the Super Simple recipe and BBB method!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-15-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: enable signature
    4.5k gal 9x18 Intex Ultra, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter & Pump Model SF90110T, K2006. PF=27

Good deal.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread