+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intex pool setup advice

Default Intex pool setup advice

Hi, I am setting up an intex pool. It's 32ft x 16ft in size. I am leveling the ground by moving dirt from the high areas to the low ones. I have the entire area shoveled out. My question is do most people till the area before they place the pool on it. I have been using a garden spade to break up the large clots, but that is alot of area to cover. Any advice? I am placing 8ft x 4ft insulation panels under the pool for protection. Any tips? thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Intex pool setup advice

I doubt that tilling the ground is very common as pool prep; it would be a pretty bad idea.

The reason is, it's hard to puncture a liner that resting on a firm surface, but rather easy to do so if the liner is on a soft or spongy surface. For that reason, I'm not sure that putting the insulation panels underneath is a good idea. It might work out better if you simply raked and leveled the ground carefully, and then put a heavy duty tarp, trimmed to fit, under the pool.

One caution: leveling the ground is important with all soft-side pools, but it's exceedingly important on the larger ones. Use a water level to make SURE you are level side-to-side, end-to-end, and corner-to-corner.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'd like to add that any built up or filled in areas under the pool must be compacted. There's going to be alot of water above the ground and it will compact anything you don't. It's safest to dig to level, undisturbed soil.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I dug before I did enough research. I shoveled the high areas over to the low ones. I am going to level it and compact it the best I can.
    16x32 Intex pool

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Many Home Depot stores have a tool rental. They often have plate compactors and "jumping jacks" available. I'd think the plate compactor would better suit your needs.
    http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck...or_14/0008705/
    http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck...ck/5200000642/
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Ah-h-h.

That picture of the tamper they call a "jumping jack" brings back not-so-fond memories of days spent riding one of those d### things. I was learning to be a plumber then, and was the low man on the pecking order. Thus, I got to hang on to what is called in this area a "whaley-packer". Wore me out then, and I was a pretty buff 20 year old. I think I could probably hang on for about an hour, now, 40 years later!

+ Reply to Thread