+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool yellow why?

Unhappy Pool yellow why?

need help and have not found the answers for my problem yet so I saw your
    product and thought you might be able to help.

We just bought a house and had to replace the liner in our pool. We just filled the pool up and then I did as my pool place recommended. I added an alkalinity up product and
    chlorine on the first day and then that night I was told to shock the pool with the shock they gave me.

Before I shocked the pool I noticed the water had turned a shade of yellow. I was told it could be the PH so I tested it and it was low so I added the PH up but the yellow did not go away and the PH is normal. My pool place does not seem to know what it causing it. I can
    see a little bit of staining on the white stairs and then the deep end you can just tell the water is a yellow color.

Do you think it could be metals in the pool and at this point what should I do and what should I buy?

Default Re: Pool yellow why?

Im not expert just a pool owner for 26years but I think you might have algae growing ! Trying raising chlorine and using algae killer see if that helps !

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If it is a freshly filled pool with chlorine added the first day and then shocked, I doubt it is algae. The fact that the water is a yellowish color makes me wonder about a metals issue. Did you fill from a well? What kind of shock did you use? Please list the ingredients.

Do you have a drops-based kit that you can give us some current readings?

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-07-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: fix typo

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Yellow is not a common color -- but if you have a liner, it's possible that iron is combining with the liner color to look yellow.

Drop some vitamin C tabs on the steps -- if the stains clear around the tabs, it's iron. If you've been filtering, and have iron, your backwash will likely be orange or orangish-brown.

What water did you use to fill your pool?

(membership updgraded.)

So I have tried everything my pool place has told me. I took my water to them and they say the water is balance with the chemicals and such. Said my chlorine level was good my phone and alkalinity were good and every thing else. I have tried Metal Free and that did not help. I have tried a copper based algecide that the pool place gave me and the water still has the yellow tent. I just don't know what to do. I have used a couple of different shocks but most from the pool place not sure the brand. Help don't know what to do. I just want normal water. It is clear just a little yellow.
    IG pool with slide

We also have replaced our sand and the laterals in our sand filter.
    IG pool with slide

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Did you try the vitamin C on the liner and steps?

Often when clear pool water it's the result of an unexpected and unrecognized stain on the pool surface, combining with the blue color of clear water.

+ Reply to Thread