+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chlorine question for Intex 22'x 52" pool

Smile Re: Chlorine question for Intex 22'x 52" pool

Thanks Watermom. I did look at this chart before and honestly it doesn't appear to be over 5ppm according to the yellow color in my tester. If anything, it definitely hasn't gone above 6ppm

Jewlz

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Chlorine question for Intex 22'x 52" pool

Ok. Cool.

Ok another question . . . is it normal to have to add bleach everyday even though my CYA is 50-55?? I'm mean I'm sure the chlorine goes down eventually with the swimming, weather, ect. but it seems the chlorine reading was good at first after my CYA was where it shoudl be, but everyday now that I check it, it just seems to be getting lower. This morning it looked like it was just 1ppm. I have added a dose of bleach everyday (for my pool that is 1 3/4 cup), and I added about 2 cups this morning because that is the lowest reading I've had to far after getting the CYA up.

We have had a couple of major downpours this week so maybe that affects the chlorine but I'm not sure. My Ph actually has gone up to about 8.2 and I haven't been putting any borax in it at all.

Just wondering what a 'normal' kind of procedure is with adding bleach so. Looks like I should have a min of 3ppm and a max of 5ppm for my CYA level.

Thanks,
    Jewlz

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

When was the last time you checked your CYA level?

If your chlorine level has been dropping below the minimum needed, it could be that you actually have an impending algae bloom that is trying to get started. Why don't you go ahead and shock the pool this evening. Then, a couple hours later, test the FC and CC and then repeat those tests in the morning within an hour or sunrise. If you have lost more than 1ppm of FC overnight and have a CC reading greater than 0.5ppm, you'll know that you are losing chlorine due to fighting something in the water.

If you don't and you verify that your CYA actually is 50-55, then it may be that you might want to consider raising it a little higher. Where do you live? Some people who live in some really hot parts of the country find that running a higher CYA pool allows them to test and add bleach less frequently. If you have a lot of rain, it can lower chlorine some but not tremendously. In my pool, a lot of rain affects my pH more than my chlorine --- lowers my pH.

After writing my reply, I scrolled back through your thread. Did you ever order a K2006? If not, you won't be able to measure CC.

Are you aerating the pool? Is your return jet eyeball aimed upward to create splashing on the surface? That can cause pH to rise. How high was the chlorine when you tested pH. With kits other than Taylor, the pH test will be inaccurate if the chlorine is higher than 5ppm. (With the Taylor kits, it is ok to test pH with chlorine levels up to 10ppm.) Anytime your chlorine is higher than 5 or 10, depending on the kit you are using, you can dilute your sample before testing pH. Take 1/4 cup of pool water and mix it with 1/4 cup of distilled water. Then, run the pH test as normal.

I think I figured out your problem. I just ran some numbers and I don't think you are adding enough bleach. I'm estimating your volume to be around 11,400 gallons. In that sized pool, each cup of bleach would only add about 0.5ppm of chlorine so that means that when you add 1-3/4 cup, you are adding less than 1ppm of chlorine.

A quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 1.8ppm of chlorine and one of the 121-oz jugs will add about 7ppm. Use those as references to help you figure out doses. If you really do have a CYA of 50-55, each evening when you test your water, add enough bleach to take your chlorine level back up to 6ppm.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I guess that makes sense about the bleach . . . I was using the dosage recommendation on the BBB instructions. My pool (according to the Intex guide) is like 10,4xxx and some odd gallons.

I actually checked my CYA level this past Monday for the 2nd time and that was when it was finally over 50 just a bit so I stopped adding the dichlor since then, and have been just adding the bleach everyday.

I'm still using the HTH 6-way kit but I am going to bite the bullet and get the Taylor kit you recommend through Amazon. My chlorine was originally 5-6ppm on Monday when I checked the CYA and it's steadily been going down everyday even though I was adding 1 3/4 cup of bleach. BUT if I haven't been putting enough in for my pool size, then that makes total sense. I actually threw in 2 cups this morning so I may need even more.

We live right outside Springfield MO so it does get quite hot here, although we haven't had too many bad days yet, but they are coming. We've just had a lot of rain.

I've been testing my pool water every morning (like around 9am). I work from home and that is the first time I can usually get out there unless I start getting up earlier. Is that the best time to test your water, or should I be doing it in the evenings for the best results?

Also, I have been pointing my return jet up so it ripples the water. Is that not good? I figured for some reason it would be better than way so the water on the surface wasn't stagnant. Not to mention I love the soothing sound of it lol!

Thanks!
    Jewlz

I like the sound of the rippling water, too, but that may be what it making your pH rise. Get the pH down to mid 7s range. Then, keep the jet aimed downward most of the time unless there is a lot of floating debris that you are trying to direct into the skimmer.

To lower your pH, you can use a little muriatic acid but please read the info at this link first:> http://pool9.net/muriatic/
    What is your TA, by the way?

Before deciding to raise your CYA up any higher, try using larger doses of bleach as I mentioned previously. The best time to test and add bleach is in the evening after the strong sunlight is off of the pool. Each evening when you test, add enough bleach to take the chlorine back up to 6ppm.

Hi Watermom,

I just tested my TA and it is coming to 250ppm. Took 25 drops. I've never done that test before and I was wondering if it was working because it took a while for the green to go away, then it finally went to a pale yellow, then the pink/red color. It finally turned a really dark pink color, almost red. I tried putting in a few more drops just to see if it would change color further but it didn't. Is that a good TA reading or????

I also pointed my return jet down now. I don't have a skimmer yet but want to get one if you have any recommendations. I see Intex has one you can attach to the side of the pool and isn't too expensive. I just do manually skimming in the morning and during the day as needed. We just get like tree pollen and a few gnats in the pool mostly not a whole lot thankfully. Then in the afternoon we've been seeing apparent suicide attempts by our Japanese Beetle population lol. Thankfully that seems to be going away now. I was taking out at least 50 a day during the early afternoon.

Thanks again,
    Jewlz

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread