+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine question for Intex 22'x 52" pool

Default Re: Chlorine question for Intex 22'x 52" pool

Hello, after putting in my 2nd dose of dichlor yesterday evening, I checked my water this morning and the chlorine is all the way up to 5 on the HTH tester. The Ph is at 7.6 or 7.8.

We have been getting rain for the last couple of days and no sun. Since my chlorine is so high, should I still but the dose of dichlor in tonight and then keep doing it for the 7-10 days?

My concern is you said that I have to keep an eye on my CYA levels and not let it get to high but I may not have a CYA level yet since I just started putting in the dichlor a couple days ago, then I don't even know HOW to test for the CYA level with my HTH 6 way kit. I see the vial in my kit but unsure how many of those drops I put in there??

I guess the pool is still safe to swim in currently once the weather allows seeing as the chlorine is high right now?

Thanks,
    Julie

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

This chart can help you decipher colors higher than what your chlorine test (OTO) can show: http://pool9.net/oto-chart/ After you look at the chart, let us know what you think your chlorine level is.

The directions for your 6-Way kit: http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/HTH...structions.pdf Let me know if you have more questions about the CYA test after you look at that link.

You don't have a high enough CYA level to bother with testing it yet.

I believe it matches the 5 ppm on the tester, and not higher than that as of this morning. It's definitely not the color of anything on the chart you sent me the link to

Should I put more dichlor in tonight??

Thanks again,
    Jewlz

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Maybe put in a half a dose and then try and run the chlorine test within an hour of sunrise tomorrow before any of it is lost to the sun. That way, it will help you figure out how much chlorine was added and you can use that info to adjust future dichlor doses if needed.

Ok thanks, I put in 1/2 dose of the dichlor and borax as well. We will be having rain AGAIN tomorrow as we have had for the last several days. I'm sure since the sun hasn't been out, the chlorine isn't burning off as fast. I'll see what it's like tomorrow morning.

How soon until I can get a CYA reading? And in the meantime is the pool safe to swim in if the chlorine level reads over 3 ppm? At least until I can get a good CYA reading?

Thanks,
    Julie

Even if it rains, be sure you get out there and check your pool! Many people think that rains brings algae issues. In actuality, it is not the fault of the rain but due to nobody wanting to get wet and go out and check chemistry!

I'd wait until you have been using dichlor for a week to ten days before testing. You can kinda judge how much CYA is being added; for every 10ppm of chlorine that dichlor adds, it also adds 9ppm of CYA.

It is still safe to swim if the chlorine is a little high. Skin is pretty resilient, swim wear not so much. So, have the kids wear old swimsuits.

Report your chlorine level in the morning.

Thanks. I have checked my pool water every single day since it was full, even in the rain. I just want to make sure I don't have any issues at all with the water. It is still clear and I can kind of smell the chlorine smell now since I"ve been using the dichlor.

It's supposed to rain again today I think. The sun was out a minute ago but it hiding once again behind the clouds.

Thanks for all your help once again!
    Julie

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thanks for the reply PoolDoc and to Watermom for all your help!

Today I finally tested my CYA for the first time as I've been putting it in for about 10 days now. I just have the HTH 6 way test kit right now and 30 is the lowest number on the tester. I can barely see the black dot at the bottom of the tester so I'm guessing my CYA is probably about 20 or 25. It is pretty blurry but it's still visible slightly.

My chlorine has been registering at 5ppm everyday and my Ph is at 7.8 as well. I guess I'll still add the dichlor doses until my CYA gets up to 40 or 50ppm correct?

My water is still and has always been nice and sparkling clean since I filled it up 2 weeks ago and I check the chlorine and Ph every morning. The chlorine definitely stays in the pool now since i have some CYA.

We had rain for almost a week straight last week so the pool never got any sun during that time. We had a full HOT day of sun yesterday and the chlorine is still holding it's reading well. We should have sunny days at least until Thursday this week.

I forgot to put my dichlor dose in on 2 different evenings over the past 10 days so that may be why my CYA isn't up more yet.

Thanks!
    Jewlz

Yes, keep using dichlor until your CYA is around 50ppm.

Also, remember that since your OTO tester can only read chlorine readings to 5ppm, a reading of 5 means 5 or higher. I linked this above but will do so again -- the chart that helps you interpret higher than 5ppm on an OTO. http://pool9.net/oto-chart/

+ Reply to Thread