+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting up 16x32 AG pool

Default Starting up 16x32 AG pool

Starting pool for Summer. Checking the forum for info on above ground pool manual maintenance interval

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New user

Hi there,

It is an above ground, vinyl lining, 12,500 gal, 16x32 oval. Hayward sand filter filter and pump, and an automatic inline chlorinator (3 in tablets) . It is heated by three solar panels with a 100,000 BTU gas heater as backup. I am doing to start doing the maintenance myself, since I am not happy with the person doing it. I read in the forum about the use of the BBB method, and I am ordering the Taylor testing kit. I want to incorporate an automatic pool cleaner to the system, and would appreciate any recommendation regarding what would be the best reasonable option. Until then , what should be the interval for cleaning (brushing side walls and bottom, vacuuming etc). I intend to test FC and PH twice a week. The pool has moderate use, wife and I, and occasionally eight to 12 persons, including small kids (under 6 years of age), and when not in use is covered by a heavy duty solar blanket mounted on reel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-06-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: enable signature
    13k gal 16x32 oval AG pool, Haward pump, filter, & chlorinator. Solar panels +100K BTU heater. PF=9

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New user

Be aware that using the chlorinator with trichlor pucks will continuously add CYA to the pool. If you don't already have some in there, that is fine but many people get in algae trouble because their CYA gets too high and they don't keep the chlorine in the proper range. Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart here: http://pool9.net/cl-cya/ It explains the relationship between CYA and needed chlorine levels.

As far as interval for cleaning ---- that depends on how often it gets dirty. Some pools need vacuumed several times per week and others weekly is fine. If you keep your chemicals at the proper levels, brushing once per week should be ok.

I would suggest testing the chlorine and pH more than twice per week. Actually, until you get the feel for how your pool is going to behave, it is best to test both of those daily for awhile. It takes less than 5 minutes.

Good decision to order the K2006 kit. As soon as you get it, take a full set of readings and post them so someone here can better advise you.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the Pool Forum! Be sure you also read at our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good info there!

(By the way, until your registration is completed, you'll have to log out first to be able to see the rest of the forum. So, copy that link above and paste it in a browser window after you log out.)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread