+ Reply to Thread

Thread: buying first pool

Default buying first pool

Hello, I am new to this forum and I just placed an order for an Intex 22' x 52" ultra frame pool today (at least 10500 gallons to 12000 gallons). My reasoning is to buy something reasonably priced to use for a few years to see if the 7 year old twins, along with the parents, really enjoy and utilize a pool. If yes, then maybe an in ground pool is in our future. From my readings, I realize that the low pool price includes a poor quality pump and ladder which need to be replaced. I am leaning toward a Confer 7200 heavy duty A frame ladder which would to secure access to the ladder (from the twins). The backyard is already enclosed by a fence for security from other children.

My questions relate to opinions from forum members...
    1) which pump should I use? Sand filters seems to be the more popular option but should I also combine a salt system?
    2)Which manufacturer?
    3)Anybody know how the filtering system works inside this pool since the picture shows a tube going into the side of the pool and not a large opening for a skimmer. Does the skimmer float inside the pool and thus the water height is adjustable? (I want to initially start the water height at 43" because of the height of the twins. As they grow taller then the water level will be increased)
    4)Any opinions regarding the choice of ladder?
    5)Any other equipment suggestions (hand held pool skimmer) are greatly appreciated

As I said, this pool stuff is all new to me so please forgive my basic questions.

Dan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: buying first pool

I would assume your pool already comes with a filter and possibly an SWCG? I think the large Ultra's often do. Here what I recommend:

1. Get your pool up and running quickly, so you can return it during your purchase return window if there's a problem. Intex will eventually honor warranties, but it's not nearly as easy as returning the pool to Walmart or Amazon during your 30 day window, and maybe 10% of Intex pools have some sort of problem.

2. Read the Super Simple recipe, and make sure your ready to go with that -- you can get complicated later, but you do NOT want to fill, and then have the pool turn green while you 'figure it out'! http://pool9.net/ssr/

3. Tell us what you have, and THEN let's work on upgrades.

4. The battery vacs seem to be liked by those that have them, though the life seems to be shorter than most would prefer. Here's what I've posted in the past:

he problem is, most folks with Intex type pools do not have an effective vacuum system, and Intex doesn't really have any accessories that are adequate. There are basically two options.

Manual Pool Vacuum:
    Hydro Tools 1-1/4-Inch Diameter With Swivel Cuff Pool Vacuum Hose, 18'
    Poolmaster 27514 Classic Full View Triangular Vinyl Liner Vacuum
    Hydro Tools 8351 6- to 12-Foot Adjustable Blue Anodized Step-Up Telescopic Pool Pole
    With the manual option, you can certainly remove the debris by vacuuming 'to waste', using siphon. You'll want to over-fill your pool first, before starting the siphon. Tie some sort of weight to the hose, to keep the 'out-of-the-pool' end from flopping back into the pool and breaking the siphon.

You may, or may not, be able to couple the hose to the suction inlet on your pool. If you can work out a way to do so, then you will not lose the water you vacuum with. You will of course get your filter dirty fast.

Battery Operated Vacuum:
    Water Tech Pool Blaster Max
    Water Tech CATFISHPPV Pool Blaster, Catfish
    Pool Blaster PBW022MF Micro Filter Bag
    If you are interested in the battery vac -- and we've had pretty good reports on this brand -- call Water Tech *FIRST* and make sure that the fine bag will pick up debris like yours. It's possible that it may just go through the bag, so ask first.
    Water Tech (PowerBlaster Max page)
    10 Alvin Ct. Suite 111
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816 USA
    Tel: (800) 298-8800
    e-mail: CustomerService@WaterTechCorp.com

Thanks for the info and the links.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

you're welcome . . .

+ Reply to Thread