+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iron Pellets - Stains

Default Iron Pellets - Stains

Hey,I was spreading some Ironite fertilizer on my lawn today and was real careful to not get any in the pool... I failed. I just realized that 2 iron pellet are in the deep end and have created 2 stains about 4" each.

Is this a job for Vitamin C tablets?
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Iron Pellets - Stains

Won't hurt. Unfortunately it's been my experience that nothing completely removes the intense stains the result when something like a nail falls into a pool.

I've got another idea, but I'll have to write up an explanation.

I'm all ears to any idea you might have.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK. I was going to go ahead and order it, but you can do it as well as I can.

Iron Out -- a blend of powerful reducing agents, sodium hydrosulfite and sodium metabisulfite -- is capable of removing severe iron stains. The problem is keeping a concentrated mix of Iron Out and water in contact, in a pool. It's completely incompatible with chlorine: if one is present the other is not. And, if it's diluted, it won't work the same way.

I was trying to come up with a way to apply a water/granule mixture directly to the stain, without draining the pool. You need some sort of flexible container to hold the Iron Out, and a way to get it against the stain, without losing it in the pool.

Here's what I was going to try:

The cups are soft silicone cups used in "cupping", but should work as container, and should be soft enough to conform, and keep from losing all the 'hydro' in the pool water. The poly sheeting will slip against silicone, so I was going to cut a small piece I could use to cover the cup, and then slide it out, once the cup was against the stain. I don't know it would be possible to 'cup' the side of the pool -- that would be ideal. If not, you'll have to hold it in place for at least 5 - 10 minutes and maybe longer. Links below. Iron Out is also available at your Walmart.

If you get this, and try it, please let me know. This approach could work with ascorbic acid, 'hydro', and other agents, and could help a lot of people. It would be great if you could do pictures.

Links:
    Silicone Cupping Set
    Lightweight Flexible 25x23x1/16 Translucent Polyethylene Sheet
    EMS 7 1/4" Shears
    Summit Brands 28-oz. Rust & Iron Stain Remover

+ Reply to Thread