+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pool water is green

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool water is green

Assuming the CYA test is accurate (which we really can't assume) . . . 5 ppm FC @ 40 ppm CYA is effective against some, but not all forms of green algae.

If you get a gallon of distilled water at Walmart, you can use a test sample composted of 1/4 cup pool water and 3/4 cup distilled. Mix, test, and multiply result x4.

Then dose to 15 - 20 ppm FC. Five gallons of 8% bleach added late in the day should do it . . . IF YOUR POOL WERE 30K gallons.

But, that's very unlikely. On rectangular liner pools WITH a deep end, typical dimensions and volumes are:

16 x 32 => ~20,000 gallons
    18 x 36 => ~24,000 gallons
    20 x 40 => ~30,000 gallons

So, unless your have an atypical liner pool, your volume is more likely to be 25,000 gallons, than 30,000 gallons. If so, 4 gallons of plain bleach would be a more appropriate dose.

Good luck!

Okay-thank you! I will try to verify the dimensions again. We have added 10 gal of bleach over the past 3 days and have had no clearing
    In ground -vinyl -sand filter-skimmer tabs 30,000 gal and is 16 ft wide 36 ft long

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Adding insufficient chlorine repeatedly tends to be useless against established algae . . . even when you use more in total than would have been needed in one dose to kill the algae.

We need dimensions, an accurate volume, and a trustworthy CYA reading.

However, if you're in a hurry, and not too concerned about a lightened (or bleached) liner, in the EVENING add 10 gallons of PLAIN 8% bleach in a SINGLE dose. Follow that on succeeding days with 6 gallon doses each evening UNLESS your OTO shows an ORANGE chlorine test result.

The accurate volume for our pool is 23,800. I feel you are getting frustrated with me but I am trying to do my best in getting information. Believe me --I am beyond frustrated. Our pool liner is already lightened -so I am not worried about that. We are on water restriction in our town and I will not be replacing the liner this year for sure. Once again-thank you for your help
    In ground -vinyl -sand filter-skimmer tabs 30,000 gal and is 16 ft wide 36 ft long

Not frustrated, just wanting specific answers. But, I was kinda pushing back against the urgency you felt, and emphasizing that a reliable 'fix' requires specific accurate info from you. I end up doing that fairly often.

It's sorta like a doctor saying, "Yes, yes, I'm sorry it hurts. But WHERE exactly does it hurt, and WHEN did it start hurting?"

If you're not worried about bleaching, use the chlorine bleach as suggested.

+ Reply to Thread