+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Startup -- Algae + DE filter

Default Pool Startup -- Algae + DE filter

Hi. I am trying to get things up and running for the summer (like so many others). I have a 17,000 gal inground vinyl lined pool, Jandy60 DE filter, 2 return jets, main drain, and one skimmer and Hayward super pump. Here's my issue: Upon taking off the mesh cover found swamp green pool. Began the process of cleaning up by using the leaf net basket to get as much debris that I could off the bottom (hard to see with such a soupy green mess). Got equipment up and running. Started the DE filter and ran for a day. Pressure was not rising which I thought was odd. Air is coming into the pool from returns. Backwashed the filter. Then decided to wash the grids because of the ton of algae present. Noticed that the DE was only coating about the top 1/4 of the grids. Thought it strange.

Lubed all the orings to try and prevent the air.
    Ran yesterday for another 8 hours and pressure went up 5 in that time frame. Still air coming through returns. Turned it off for night.
    Trying to decide what is my next step.
    Backwash again? Shock? Call a professional and wait for 2 weeks to have them come out?
    Appreciate any help.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool Startup -- Algae + DE filter

You can't use a DE filter with live algae; it plugs it almost instantly.

+ If you can bypass the filter and circulate the water, do so. Otherwise turn the pump off.

+ Go to Walmart or wherever, and get 18 gallons of PLAIN 8% household bleach AND a cheap OTO/phenol red testkit.

+ The first evening after you get the bleach, test the pool's pH and then add 6 gallons of bleach. If the pump is not circulating, pour the bleach around the pools. Wear old clothes -- if you don't the bleach will 'magically' jump out and spot them or make holes. Skin is much more durable, but rinse off any splatters when you finish.

+ If the pool's pH is less than 7, get 8 boxes of borax at Walmart. Dissolve 2 in warm water, and pour it around the pool. (Adding them SLOWLY through the skimmer is much easier - but ONLY if the pump is running.)

+ Continue adding 6 gallons each evening, till the pool turns gray or brown, with no green.

+ Meanwhile, open the DE filter and clean it thoroughly. Once the pool is gray or brown, try filtering again.

+ Order a K2006 test kit (they aren't available locally). Report results ASAP when the kit arrives. Amazon links: http://pool9.net/test/ Instructional videos: http://pool9.net/tk-guide/

Keep us posted.

Thanks so much for the help! My pool water is now balanced and as of Saturday morning I could see to the bottom and begin the process of vacuuming out the sediment (dead algae). Unfortunately I now have a new problem which is very strange (I think).
    At different points over the last few days I have had a cloud of sediment come through the return. Once when I was vacuuming to waste. Once when I turned it back to filter. And tonight when I set the valve to recirculate. I did because I wanted to keep the water moving while I figure out why the stuff is coming back through on filter setting and waste setting.
    The filter grids are not compromised. There are no cracks in manifold or anything. How can this stuff be getting back into pool when I am bypassing the filter as well as when I am using the filter? Very strange and not something I have ever seen before.
    Help again, please?
    17k gal inground vinyl pool, Jandy60 DE filter, Hayward Super Pump, 2 return jets, skimmer & main drain. PF=7

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Could the jets of dirt be occurring when you turn the pump On/Off, and change valve positions? Many DE filters can't start up completely cleanly, unless you backwash first.

Yes it does seem to be upon turning on the pump. This morning I turned it on to recirculate again and just a little bit came out of return and then cleared. I think this was whatever was leftover from when I turned it on last night. So how would backwashing the filter relate to this problem if it happens when on recirculate and waste positions? Still scratching me head...
    17k gal inground vinyl pool, Jandy60 DE filter, Hayward Super Pump, 2 return jets, skimmer & main drain. PF=7

Dirt remains in the filter, until you remove the DE -- and the dirt trapped in it -- by backwashing or by opening the filter can cleaning it manually.

A DE filter works when the waterborne DE powder is trapped on the filter membranes or septum, and remains held their by the water flow, and resulting differential pressure across the membrane, sort of like a sponge stuck to the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner. When the pump is turned off, the DE is released and falls to the bottom of the filter, along with the captured dirt. When the pump is turned back on, the water circulation stirs up the DE -- AND the dirt -- which then swirls around the chamber until the DE is again trapped against the septum.

HOWEVER, until the septum is fully coated with DE, dirt in the water is free to flow THROUGH the septum, since most of the particles are too small to be caught by the fabric of which the septum is constructed.

BOTTOM LINE? It's probably time to manually clean your filter. Wear old clothes and shoes, and plan to take a shower after!

Well I think I might be getting some more clues. I have manually washed the filter a few times already so I don't think that is the main issue. As I was vacuuming to waste this morning, I noticed that there was barely any suction. It would come and go. When I turn the system to suck water entirely through the skimmer (which is where the vacuum hose goes in) there is literally no suction. If there is a blockage or issue in the line from skimmer to pump, this could be the air and the dirt going back into pool, etc.

Question: Can you snake a pool pipe or do a camera to see if there is something in the line which is causing any of this? I'm thinking this could be creating a problem with the DE getting to the filter properly when I recharge it.

Usually, you cannot 'snake' pool lines. A drain snake will go through DWV turns, because of the longer radius. But when you use S-40 pressure fittings, you usually can't get the snake past the first 90 degree turn . . . and there's the danger that if you DO get past the turn, you won't be able to retract the snake.

. . . people have had to dig up decks!

That makes sense. Two years ago when we were closing the pool my husband accidentally dropped a small plug down the skimmer hole (he thought it was the right one, but it wasn't). There was no way to retrieve it at the time and the pool company we use assured us that the gasket would break down over time and be fine. They also upon opening the following spring tried to blow a lot of air (i think or water) through the line to get it to come through. It never did and we have never seen it. I have a bad feeling this could be causing a problem. Possibly stuff is getting stuck around it and then free from it which is why the suction is intermittent. But we didn't have this problem last year except for that we have never had very good suction from pool skimmer or it is intermittently good.

What kind of plug was it?

Rubber or plastic is unlikely to ever break down, but if it was something else, it might be possible to add chemicals that *would* 'eat' it up.

+ Reply to Thread