Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermatic Pool Timer Wiring

Default Re: Intermatic Pool Timer Wiring

I forgot to tell you that the GFCI receptacle has not been used for this pump. It was used for a pump I had over thirty years ago. I fixed the plug cable and made sure green is ground from end to end.

I found some instructions for wiring the timer and it works. I attached a picture of it wired correctly but hadn't set the tripper pins. The timer keeps turning off and turning on for a minute or five minutes, or 15 to twenty minutes before I set the tripper pins. After I set the tripper pins the timer still turns off and on like before. Does anyone have any idea why and how to fix it. Thank you. I attached some photos of the timer and my pool system.
    Attached Images

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The timer should not toggle without trippers in place. If it's doing so, the timer mechanism must be bad. The silver handle, just above the white wire in the photo, is the manual trip. Try toggling it back and forth -- it should turn the pump on, and then off, but should not be loose or floppy.

If necessary, you should be able to take this model:
    Intermatic-T104-208-277-Volt-Mechanical-Switch
    and swap the guts out, without having to rewire the box.

If you want a whole new timer, you'll need one like this, with an outdoor case:
    INTERMATIC-T104P3-TIMER-INDOOR-OUTDOOR
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-29-2018 at 06:32 PM.

If I leave the timer the way it is, will it damage the pump? If not, should I keep the pump if it doesn’t cost twice as much or more for electricity to run and fix or replace the timer? I ran my old Intex pump 24 hours a day seven days a week during the summer and I paid around $10 to $15 more a month for electricity. My pool only holds 8190 gallons and the GPM is 17.07, I have a total of 10 feet or less of total return piping. The single speed pump rate is 90 GPM. The Pentair Clean and Clear filter Plus CCP-240 flow rate is 90 GPM and turnover capacity for eight hours is 43,200 gallons. My pool would turn over 42 times per eight-hour cycle. It is my understanding that a pump that exceeds the recommended turnover rate still needs to run a minimum of five to eight hours a day to properly circulate and clean the water. I don’t know why the previous owner bought an in-ground pool pump and filter for the size of this pool and sell everything for $300 ($250 + $50 to deliver.) The same used pump and filter is for sale on Ebay for over $600 without the pool. If I sell the pump and filter, I could buy another pump and filter for my size pool and could end up with more money than I paid for the pool. I still prefer to keep what I have if the cost of electricity this year is less than what I originally paid for the pool. Your opinion is appreciated.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Don't run the pump with a wonky timer!

2a. Either fix the timer, and get enough tripper to run 3x per day for 30 - 45 minutes each time OR
    2b. Get a new pump

3. You might want to consider keeping the filter. One of the nice things about cartridge filters is, you can't get one that's too big. With this filter, you'll likely only need to clean it 1x each year -- preferably before closing.

I will do as you suggested and add two sets of tripper pins to run the pump three times a day. You Tube has a video on how to do just that. Running the pump three times should keep my electric bill down. I will keep the filter and pump. I may buy a bigger pool that is the appropriate size for the pump and filter next year.

I have some other questions about the timer that I'd like ask out of curiosity if you don't mind. Are there other timers that will run my pump other than the Intermatic T104? Does the timer have to specify for use on pool pumps or it has the same specifications as a pool timer? Can you bypass a timer and plug the pump directly to a GFCI outlet. It will be a few days before I can fix the timer. In the meantime, I will focus on the water quality.
    Thank you for your time.

Primarily, any pool timer has to be motor or inductive load rating; this will show up as a amps PLUS a horsepower (HP) rating.

I decided to check the timer myself and removed the center screw that holds the time pointer and the time wheel. There was this taupe color light in texture grease and dirt on the gears and all around the on off switch and some on the tripper pins I put on the other day. I cleaned a lot of it but couldn't reach some areas. I put it back together and set the time. The pump stayed on for about an hour then it shut off and came back on after seven minutes. Then it went back to shutting off and on again but at seven to ten minute intervals. I think if I dismantle it and clean it thoroughly it might work like it should. If the grease is supposed to be on the gears then I probably need to replace the timer.

Replace it!!

You're going to tear up a $400 pump, messing around with a $50 timer body.

Will do. I will check out the one you suggested earlier. Thanks again.

Closed Thread