+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can I remove the dead algae from an Intex 15' X 48"

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default How can I remove the dead algae from an Intex 15' X 48"

We are under water restrictions which prohibit drain and refill of pools, so that's not an option. There is a good bit of algae in the bottom of the pool now and I know that I don't want to fight with this all summer. We have the cartridge filter that came with the pool and it will never filter out all the stuff. What is a good pump/sand filter to replace the Intex cartridge? I know there has to be a LOT of us in North Texas affected by this, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one with an algae problem.

Thanks

Pappy
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-07-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: edit title

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Intex 15' X 48" Algae

What you NEED to do is kill the algae first, then vacuum it out. That means lots of bleach. 1 gallon of 8.25% to keep your chlorine level at 15ppm may well do it. Each gallon of 8.25% will add about 15 or 16ppm of free chlorine to your pool.
    Once you do that, you want to vacuum it out. I used to use a 1.25" vacuum hose with a 3/4" PVC double female connector in the hose as an adapter to the Intex drain, but you'll have to wash the filter medium a lot to get all the algae. Alternative, you can get a Pool Blaster (expensive-$300) but they are rechargeable and last for years, and won't use any water. Get the smallest.
    Carl

Default Re: Intex 15' X 48" Algae

We are bleaching the algae, we just were never able to get all the debris out.

After cleaning it up, the next day there would be stuff sitting on the bottom again. Killing the algae isn't the problem, the problem is cleaning the dead algae out of the pool.

Default Re: How can I remove the dead algae from an Intex 15' X 48"

We pulled the trigger on an Intex 14 inch sand filter, that came in today, but I didn't order the "plunger valves". What do those do and are they necessary?

======================

The model # of the filter is SF70110.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-07-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: edit title

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Getting the dead algae out of the soft-side pools is a problem, because the pools are not supplied with the gear to do so. Here are some options:

1. Leave the algae there.
    Once the algae is dead, it's not really a problem. But if you continue to use the pool, the algae will be stirred up during use, and some will be filtered.

2. Set up a vac hose, vac head, and pole, and manually vacuum the algae to the filter. Getting better cartridges will help a lot. See the Super Simple Recipe for soft-side pools, for links and more: http://pool9.net/ssr/

It's also possible to use a head + pole + hose to siphon vac a pool, but of course doing so wastes a lot of water.

3. Get a battery vac:
    Water Tech Pool Blaster Max
    Water Tech CATFISHPPV Pool Blaster, Catfish
    Pool Blaster PBW022MF Micro Filter Bag
    If you are interested in the battery vac -- and we've had pretty good reports on this brand -- call Water Tech *FIRST* and make sure that the fine bag will pick up debris like yours. It's possible that it may just go through the bag, so ask first.
    Water Tech (PowerBlaster Max page)
    10 Alvin Ct. Suite 111
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816 USA
    Tel: (800) 298-8800
    e-mail: CustomerService@WaterTechCorp.com

I "thought" that a .5 hp pump coupled to a 14" filter was ordered. Turns out that the pump is .75 hp. and still a 14" filter that takes somewhere between 50 and 100 lbs of sand. My first inclination is to throttle the intake to slow the flow through the filter sand and lower overall pressure. Would it be better to throttle the exhaust and increase pressure? I'm not happy with either option, I think it will make the pump work harder either way. I do think I'm less likely to break something if I restrict the intake. Am I worried about nothing important?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Restricting the intake will lower electrical usage, and will not hurt the pump. (Closing off 100% of flow will!)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Watertech's standard filter gets most of the dust and dirt but the fine one seems to get ANYTHING that precipitates.
    Carl

Got the new pump up and running today. I wish we had got the smaller one for real now. I think water would be blowing out the OTHER side of the pool if the pump discharge wasn't under water. Does any one know if the new style plunger valves can be operated partially closed, or are they an ON/OFF proposition?

Thanks for all the help!

Would I be better off getting this
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks...0?N=5yc1vZbufb

And the Intex 1-1/2 adapters And another hose or the Intex plunger valve? Looks like the overall cost is going to be about the same.

This would be easier, but I don't know if it can be run partially closed.
    http://www.amazon.com/Model-Intex-Pl...ds=intex+valve

I need to restrict the pump intake flow.

+ Reply to Thread