+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High pH

Default High pH

We have just started cleaning the 'junk' out of our above ground pool (approx. 8000 gallons). The pH reads over the 8.0 level of my K2006 test kit. I have read some articles on this site about the positive side of having high pH. Should we use muriatic acid to lower it, or just start the process? (I'm planning to do the copper algaecide/peroxide/ppolyquat/shock suggestion.)

Thanks!
    18 round 6.7K gal AG vinyl pool; dichlor, bleach; jacuzzi sand filter; jacuzzi 1 speed pump; 7 hrs; ; HTH 6 way; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; none; PF:18

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: High pH

Depending on what your chlorine reading is, that pH reading may or may not be accurate. Do you have a test kit? Do you have a chlorine reading? What is the copper algaecide/peroxide/............ suggestion?

Thank you for responding! I tried to all of the tests in my kit for practice today. The pH is dark pink - over the 8.0 limit. The CYA was less than measurable - the black dot never disappeared. The alkaline measured 170 ppm. I don't know how to measure copper.

The copper, etc., suggestion is at the bottom of this post: http://poolsolutions.com/gd/spring-t...t-up-tips.html

My plan was to adjust the pH, add copper algaecide tomorrow, then peroxide 4 hours later. Then add polyquat on Tuesday, then begin dichlor shock (from Sam's Club) on Wednesday. I'm trying to follow the directions, but I am fairly confused!
    18 round 6.7K gal AG vinyl pool; dichlor, bleach; jacuzzi sand filter; jacuzzi 1 speed pump; 7 hrs; ; HTH 6 way; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; none; PF:18

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Lower your pH to at least 7.8 before starting anything else. 8.0 is the upper limit on your kit, which means the ACTUAL pH could be 8.0 OR any value higher. In other words, your pH may be 9.0!

2. You do understand that the copper/peroxide process is (a) not well tested, and (b) SOLELY for the purpose of cleaning 'swamp' pools? That said, if you do try it, I'd love to get a report AND before/during/after pictures -- whether it works, or not.

So, to lower the pH, we have purchased muriatic acid. All the directions say add a 'little' at a time, but no ratio. So - 1/4 cup? And aerate to lower alkalinity also, or not?

We're looking for the best solution. Last year, we poured massive amounts ($$$) of bleach in, then finally started adding dichlor, then clarifier and it finally cleared up. We did not cover the pool, so I would characterize it as a 'swamp'! We've used a Leaf Master to clear out leaves and major algae on top and bottom.

Any suggestions are HIGHLY appreciated!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

more like, 1/8 gallon. Don't try to measure it -- doing so will create too many fumes. Instead, eyeball it. With a pH of 8+ and TA of 170, 1/8 gallons, give or take, will not be too much for a 7,000 gallon pool.

Partially immerse the jug in the water, and then pour with the lip of the jug only a inch or so from the water. Doing minimizes the fumes. Only add acid when the pump is running, and wait 4 hours before retesting pH.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It also minimizes the chance of acid splashing if you immerse the jug. Be sure to wear eye protection and keep the jug at arm's length.

Alternatively, I fill a 5 gal bucket with pool water, and slowly pour the acid into that. I then pour THAT into the return stream, slowly.

BTW, did you take a chlorine reading as Watermom suggested?
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread