+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pool Stains - unsure what kind and best way to proceed

Default Re: Pool Stains - unsure what kind and best way to proceed

Here's my test info....as best as I could get

free chlorine: 2 drops x .5ppm = 1ppm by my calculations
    combined chlorine: 1 drop x .5ppm = .5ppm
    ph: 7.0 or below...close to 7 though by color
    alk = 6 drops gave me a pink color..not red...11 drops in I was still pink so i stopped. that would give me 60ppm-110ppm...but again..never turned red.
    calcium hardness: water turned pink/purple around 10 drops in...it was lighter purpler at 30 drops in..never turned blue and I stopped at 30 drops.
    cyA: I got half way between the bottom and the first mark at 100 - no number was present.

Sorry things came out kind of funny..let me know if I need to adjust or if that gives you a good enough idea what I'm dealing with
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-19-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: remove extraneous Amazon chit-chat

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. Did you ever do the Vitamin C test on your steps?

2. Sounds like you still have some copper in the water. Watch the test kit videos (http://pool9.net/tk-guide AND the ones on interferences: http://pool9.net/tk-interfere. Then, re-test and repost.

3. Did you get the HEDP and Polyquat? Are you using it? Is your pool clear?

4. Removing stains is a pain, and a multi-step process that you may have to cycle through more than once. Are you up for that? Or would you rather just get your pool clear, and worry about stains later?

I'm going to stick with just getting the pool balanced and keeping it clear this year. I've got it 95% of the way cleared up and all that is left is some dead algae to get out.

If you can give me some advice on how to get it balanced that would be most appreciated. Any tips on how to keep it that way with a decent routine, and where to get the best prices on chemicals would also be appreciated!

Finally, I bought new sand for my filter as I believe what I have is 7-10 years old and probably lost it's edges. I'm not exactly sure how to change that but figured youtube would have the solution. Let me know if I'm crazy.

Thanks for any help!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Your sand shouldn't need changed. Sand does not wear out. Many of us use the same sand for a very long time. Occasionally, you may have to top it off but seldom should need to actually change it out.

That's good to know..saves me $30!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Check your sand level; add more if needed, but don't change it unless it's really gummy or clumped up.

+ Watch the vids and then retest and report.

+ Good luck!

Thanks for the help..I'm working through this process.

I can say that my hardness is currently through the roof. like, over 1000ppm. I've dumped a bunch of old water out and added a lot of fresh, but i'm still seeing very high levels. Is there a less expensive way to get this hardness down? I was trying to tackle that first, then get everything else dialed in since that is so out of whack.

Let me know if this is a bad approach as well!

1. Post a full set of readings on BOTH your pool, and your fill water. (Don't test CYA on the fill water!) Watch the videos (above) if you need to, but please post numbers, not drop counts. If you are having a hard time understanding the tests, watch the videos, and then ask us questions.

2. ID by make and model your pump and filter.

3. List the problems you see with your pool / water in order of concern to you.

1. I stuck with just testing pool water as I was able to actually get the tests to work properly after dumping 1/3 of my pool and refilling. Numbers are:

FC: 0ppm
    CC: .2ppm
    PH: 7.0 ppm
    Total Alkalinity as calcium carbonate: 100ppm
    Calcium Hardness as calcium carbonate: 250ppm
    CYA: 80ppm

2) Unfortunately, many markings are worn off. I can tell you the pump is a jacuzzi pump, but I don't have a model number, and the filter tank is model number jsal180, but I can't find a brand. They do appear to match so I am guessing jacuzzi

3) Lets only work on getting the water balanced and clear (it's only slightly foggy right now..can still see bottom fairly clearly)

Quote Originally Posted by tmcdonald View Post
    Lets only work on getting the water balanced and clear (it's only slightly foggy right now..can still see bottom fairly clearly)
    Sounds good.

1. Begin dosing with 1/2 gallon of PLAIN 8% store bleach each evening. If you get to orange-tinted yellow on the OTO kit, skip the dose.

2. Run your pump 24/7.

3. Send multiple full resolution pics of your pump and filter to poolforum@gmail.com. Include your user ID (tmcdonald) and the thread number (22990).

+ Reply to Thread